• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

'Pale Rider'- will the Spanish Influenza resurface

There was a novel I read many years ago where some great big bad thing was happening and the West quietly crop-sprayed India, Africa etc one night to reduce the population load on the planet; there's quite a few great big bad things happening right now I'm told.

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
Affected. Affect.

I'm usually happy to leave the grammar nazi'ing to others when it's there/their/they're or your/you're issues but - sorry - this one I cannot let lie!

However, since we're here...
[/rant]

And back to the topic...

I'm inclined to agree with points regarding over-population and the need for a cull in the absence of those parts of the world where they tend to breed like rabbits managing to cross their legs for a couple of generations. Nature seemed to have a go at it a couple of years ago but modern medicine and altruism thwarted the latest attempt to lay waste to a large swathe of the population by liquidising their internals.

One thing's for sure - if a 'flu pandemic took hold here its effects would most likely affect the elderly and infirm populations, which would have the triple bonus of thinning out the housing crisis, reducing the cost of the NHS long-term and solving the pensions crisis. There would be a short-term reduction in unemployment as funeral parlours embarked on a recruiting drive, too.

Win-win all around. Chin chin!
As far as good humoured dystopian bastardry goes it's difficult to critique. :D

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
There was a novel I read many years ago where some great big bad thing was happening and the West quietly crop-sprayed India, Africa etc one night to reduce the population load on the planet; there's quite a few great big bad things happening right now I'm told.
They'll never get my porridge! Never!

It would be a foolish, and suicidal, virus that wiped out all of its potential hosts, ergo we can assume that there will be survivors.

Their lifestyle may differ from the current level, but they'll cope.
Realistically the world population could do with a cull, and a killer virus is probably, ethically, the most acceptable method.
Can we assume that unless we think that virii are intelligent at some level or just subject to random mutations?

Or perhaps is it not that some of us mutate as well and will therefore not be as vulnerable?

Can we assume that unless we think that virii are intelligent at some level or just subject to random mutations?

Or perhaps is it not that some of us mutate as well and will therefore not be as vulnerable?
That old cliche about there being old or bold, but not both, may apply.
Rather than any outbreak taking out the old, perhaps they've managed to reach advanced age by avoiding such outbreaks?

I'm more inclined to think it may be " generation snowflake" that takes the hit.

The end is nigh via Aussie flu. The poetic H3N2 influenza A appears to be the dominant strain this winter and whenever it rears its ugly head, mortality rates go up.

The Spanish Flu virus (H1N1) has already revisited us in 1977 and 2009. Without the catastrophic consequences of the 1918 outbreak. Maybe humans have developed some immunity to the worst effects of H1N1 or perhaps modern hygiene, vaccinations and less of a tendency to shovel people into tenements reduces the effectiveness of the disease. We're well overdue a population decimating plague of some sort anyway.
I think it's a mix of all the reasons above, although it's a wonder we haven't had something go off given the ability to fly anywhere in the world at will if you have the money.

One day Mother nature will remind us she is the boss.

The 1918 H1N1 flu virus with over 50-100 million victims still seems to be ahead in the killing game.

Caused by an influenza A virus of the H1N1 subtype analysis suggested that the ultimate ancestral source of this virus was avian.

Poorly understood are the mechanisms whereby avian influenza viruses adapts to new mammalian hosts and infect very different cell types—for example, accumulating point mutations or reassortment with gene segments from a different influenza virus to enable infection of human respiratory epithelial cells rather than duck enteric cells.
The 1918 influenza pandemic: Lessons for 2009 and the future

It beat even Stalin and Mao put together, and they set the bar quite high.

Unfortunately the fat kid fiddling about with Nukes, Bio and Chemical weapons, is still eating unhealthily which does nothing for his mental stability. Lets hope he doesn’t decide to compete in the killing game.
Dining With the Dictator: These Are Some of Kim Jong Un's Favorite Foods

Last edited:

Latest Threads