Pakistans nuclear arsenal in safe hands.......

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by armchair_jihad, Nov 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In full
  2. Here you go AJ.

Attached Files:

3. Cheers Ski, but I am at a loss to understand what the cartoon has to do with Pakistans nukes?
  4. No worries Mr D and AJ, but I am also at a loss to the 'hidden meaning' of the image!

edited to add after seeing Mr D's post. - No, I still don't get it! but dont worry, metaphor is not one of my strong suits. I am more of a literalist!
  5. Those Nukes are safe.
  6. Pakistan Nuclear Security Questioned
    Lack of Knowledge About Arsenal May Limit U.S. Options

By Joby Warrick
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Sunday, November 11, 2007; Page A01
    So basically if you control the military bases it's party time. You would need a bomb wonk of course. It's just as well AQ Khan is safely under lock and key.
    So that's alright then.
  7. I would be more worried who is incharge of the American Nukes. :roll:
  8. IIRC the US did actually offer to supply some sort of PALs system, or at least the computer code for one, to the Pakistanis but they declined. Apparently they were a little too worried that the system might have been secretly piggy-backed to allow the US to track their warheads or remotely deactivate them so they couldn't be used.
  9. From 2006:
    [align=center]Bad Options:
    Or, How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Live with Loose Nukes
    By Thomas Donnelly[/align]
    Does not think much of the "get into the ballpark and steal the ball option".
    Any article that mentions dirty bombs and terrorists instantly makes me skeptical.

Unlike Iran Pakistan has not signed up to the NPT or CTBT, not all of Pakistan's nuclear facilities are under IAEA safeguards. The Pakistanis still rely on AQ Khan's murky nuclear network to provide much of the infrastructure of their program. BB recently offered to grant the IAEA access to Khan.

I think DC only knows what the military in Islamabad is willing to tell them and there is very little mutual trust in that relationship. What seems to be in place is notifications of nuke component movements within a few hours but this rests on a very shaky basis as there's no effective inspections regime like the IAEA provides elsewhere. That DC hasn't pressed Islamabad into normalizing its nuclear situation is looking like a major failure in US policy. DC has certain idealogical aversions to international treaties and institutions but here they are the rational means.

The danger here isn't so much when Mushie's head ends up on a pole and Pakistan's fairly marginal civilian Islamists rush to give AQ the bomb. It's the army itself that contains the threat. Any event that potentially splits the general staff is dangerous. That could equally well be BB's coronation or the inevitable coup that follows.