Pakistani schoolgirl shot by Taliban sent to UK for treatment

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by AlMiles, Oct 15, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

She was already being treated in Pakistan by a seconded husband and wife team from the NHS. I think it is a very clever and sensible move for her to receive the treatment she needs in the UK.

2. I'd happily let her jump the queue ahead of me.

• Like Like x 2
  3. But why doesn't Pakistan have such medical staff? The girl was a campaigner for female education, that's why she was shot. Perhaps if they hadn't kept 50% of their population out of education, they might have enough skilled medics to do the work?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Brotherton Lad

Partly because an awful lot of Pakistani medics, many of them women, work in the NHS in this country.

In fact 2 Pakistani third year students were present at my last visit to the local GP's surgery.

5. Do we get more shot children than them?

• Like Like x 2
  6. Brotherton Lad

No, but we do have some extremely experienced surgeons who can deal with such traumatic injuries to the skull and brain. Skills picked up as a direct result of military ops in Afghanistan.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pakistan government paying for it.

I assume if you or I were to be shot in head the waiting list for treatment might be shorter than for an ingrowing toenail.

Whole incident seems to be generating a backlash against Taliban, so just maybe there is some goodwill to be gained here.

Maybe a good idea to be seen helping out?

Or do you just want to rant against johnnie foreigners and darkies for a while?

• Like Like x 1
  8. When did you get shot in the head?

9. Brotherton Lad

• Like Like x 1
  10. Brotherton Lad

They've said they will.

11. Considering the number of her countrymen (and others of a similar mindset) in the UK it might not be a good an idea as it first seems perhaps?