Pakistan Taliban appears in turmoil

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Aug 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Pakistan Taliban appears in turmoil

ISLAMABAD (AFP) – Pakistan's Taliban appears in turmoil after reports of a deadly shootout between contenders to replace the shadowy movement's leader, believed to have been killed in a US drone attack.
    Intelligence officials said Friday Baitullah Mehsud, who had a five million dollar bounty on his head, was killed in a US drone attack, although the government is still seeking confirmation.
    There are unconfirmed reports of a deadly shooting at a meeting of top Taliban commanders in South Waziristan region, which Interior Minister Rehman Malik said were being investigated.
  2. From the link:-

I don't think that Pakistan ever had control of the tribal areas and that was part of their problem.
  3. Does this perhaps herald a schism in the Taliban? If there are two branches of the Taliban it always opens up the possibility of negotiation with one of them and the ability to play one off against the other. It's an interesting situation but may take a while to fully develop.
  4. So who gets the $5 million? :wink:
  5. Terrorist groups are forever spliting and infighting, nothing new. Take a look at NI for an obvious example.

Which begs the question; did the constant splits between the various IRA incarnations speed the process towards peace or not?
  6. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

Are the taleban a single entity, have they ever been?

Seems like a spectacular victory to me, lets see where it goes before someone imposes order and unity again
  7. so now we will see splinter groups - The Real Taliban - The provisional Taliban etc.
  8. The judean peoples taliban?
  9. The Taleban of the Judean people
  10. The taleban of the popular Judean People
  11. Splitter! :D
  12. There may be lots of different TB entities, but a Jewish one? Can't see it myself...
  13. I can imagine the scene amongst the tribal elders sat in ther sun baked compound. One turns slowly to the others and utters the immortal words - "What have the Talban ever did for us "?
  14. ethnically the pashtun are rumoured to be from jewish decent oddly enough. they see themselves as one of the 10 lost tribes of isreal, but having embraced islam.
  15. Was it kidney failure again?