Pakistan International Airlines A320 down

Just received this video from a pilot friend.

This seems to corroborate previous post.

Pilots may well have put the gear handle down, and while distracted by their unstable approach did not pay attention to the gear warning chime that was telling them that it had not in fact gone down due excessive speed.

It also appears that they skipped not once but twice before lifting off to attempt the go around for a second try.

Not sure but may have been two Captains in the cockpit, this may have led to one being hesitant about criticising the other about being too high to close in, which under normal SOP’s and CRM (Crew Resource Management) would require the PNF (Pilot Not Flying) to call for the approach to be aborted and for a go around be initiated.

They also had been warned by ATC that they appeared to be to high for the approach.

This reluctance to intervene by the PNF was directly implicated in the 777 Korean Airlines crash at San Fransisco.

You do, of course mean Asiana Airlines. Same, country, same culture, but a different airline.

I see the Grauniad was careful not to comment on the faking and cheating in a professional body. Who knows; perhaps that might be endemic to other professions, including many qualifications that facilitate entry and employment in UK?
I would imagine that is about as likely as a heatwave in June in Britain.

Ritch

LE
Other than Qatar and the odd sod, they're about the only things flying out of MAN with anything approaching regularity... for some odd reason. The 'issues' were regarding the 747s. They were given triples as a thank you for TWOT... apparently.
Absolutely. Manchester has been deserted of late because of Covid. I've noticed the daily China flight is back up and running though.

There's irony in there... somewhere.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
don’t be disrespecting others cultural norms.
it’s endemic with car licences in this country too....but
They report this as shocking news.

Which surprised me, unlike the actual news itself.

Absolutely. Manchester has been deserted of late because of Covid. I've noticed the daily China flight is back up and running though.
Iran Air are due to start a once weekly A330 schedule to MAN on Saturdays soon.

Ritch

LE
Iran Air are due to start a once weekly A330 schedule to MAN on Saturdays soon.
Now that is a surprise. I was shocked enough yesterday when I saw an Iran A330 at LHR.

Thanks for that, I had seen comments that ATC were culpable and was curious about why. Answered here:

"The “Aerodrome Control” observed the scrubbing of engines with the runway but did not covey this abnormality to the aircraft. It was conveyed to the “Karachi Approach” on telephone. Subsequently “Karachi Approach” also did not relay this abnormality to the aircraft."

Irrespective of whether or not the aircraft had been told it was damaged by that stage and would have crashed anyway. However the ATCOs involved should have informed the aircraft AND there should have been a runway inspection. Since the concorde crash most airport operators are almost paranoid about runway inspections and require them after any 'incident' as well as regular inspections during flying hours.

TamH70

MIA

Ritch

LE
Are PIA allowed in UK Airspace as a few years ago they got banned because of poor maintenance on the fleet?

Just checked seems PIA are allowed these days
As of today, PIA have been banned from flying in Europe for 6 months.

The Vietnamese are also taking steps against Pakistani aircrew flying with the different Vietnamese airlines,

Now that is a surprise. I was shocked enough yesterday when I saw an Iran A330 at LHR.
Iran Air have been LHR regulars for years (on and off). I don't, however, expect PIA will be visiting anytime in the near term.

PIA UK flights suspended

As of today, PIA have been banned from flying in Europe for 6 months.
Given one has just flown over my gaff, I think someone's been misinformed?

Ritch

LE
Given one has just flown over my gaff, I think someone's been misinformed?
Plenty of sources still saying PIA have been banned from flying in countries in the European Union Air Safety Agency. I wonder if the UK have left this due to Brexit.