Pakistan holds landmark talks with Israel

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by razorman, Sep 1, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

This is very good news in my opinion, and a brave move from Musharaf given that hardliners in Pakistan will be unhappy. While full diplomatic relations are not being mooted at the moment, I believe it is only a matter of time (implictly the meeting of foreign ministers IS a recognition of Israel by Pakistan - but time is still needed to bring public opinion round). If Pakistan can recognise India, its sworn enemy with which is has fought four wars, then there should be no problem recognising a country which which it has no dispute. From the Israeli point of view, gaining relations with the most powerful Muslim nation would be a significant step in demonstrating to the wider Islamic world the need for acceptance and co-existance, based on a settlement of the Palestinian issue. Good news all round I think.
  2. I don't think the British extremists will be too happy with this one, Musharraf needs to be careful or he could end up another Liaquat Ali ! :twisted:

Seriously though, I think its a wise move by the General as the popular foreign policy attitude seems to be changing from one of pan-Islamic brotherhood, no matter the costs to one of national self interest at all costs
  3. What's funny is these British extremists scorn Musharaf for his 'pro Western' policies while they themselves are happily living in (and sponging off) a Western country. Retards :roll:

Indeed. Musharaf made a very wise quote a while back 'Pakistanis should not be more Palestinian than the Palestinans themselves'. Many Pakistanis are so obsessed with the Arab-Israeli conflict they forget the total lack of support from the Arab world in regards to Pakistans conflict with India/Kashmir. It's about time for a Pakistan first policy. If the Arabs don't like it, tough :evil:
  4. More good news:

Rallies against Israel talks flop

MMA's rallies after Musharaf's recent madrassa crackdown also flopped, and they lost badly in the recent local elections. Looks like the much touted 'Talibanisation' of Pakistan has turned out to be a damp squib, just as I predicted :D