Pakistan censorship cause YouTube to crash.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by EX_STAB, Feb 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I can see them dropping out of The War Against Terror, but that might actually be a good thing if it stops stirring up the tribes in the NFWP.

The YouTube thing might just have been an accident.

2. I read this and thought "So what?" You Tube crashes for an hour, its not the most important thing in the world, why it even made the news I'll never know.

3. Then how exactly would we continue to sustain our forces in Afghanistan?

[​IMG]

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I suppose we'll have to go the same way as the Russians then!

5. EX_STAB wrote:

I see them going neutral rather than anti. Stopping their attacks on the NFWP but still allowing NATO supply etc. Compromise between the Islamists and the other factions.

6. I reckon the ISP in question would have been using TCP RST packets to break customers TCP connections causing them to click again and again and again..hey presto: DDoS from Pakistan.
    The polite thing to do would have been to monkey with the DNS servers redirecting folk to a 'YOUTUBE IS HARAM' page.

7. Sounds like they were changing YouTube's nameservers, does it not?

8. I take the BBC's technology reports with a hefty amount of salt.

If ISP's blocked youtube then traffic would decrease. Not a bad thing for an overloaded site like youtube?
    As it happened youtube engineers identified a problem. Hence why I suspect DDoS rather than ISP's blocking it.
    Hijacking DNS can be done by anyone using linux and dnsspoof. You don't need to access DNS servers as its done 'in the middle'.

9. Seems we're both wrong. The pakistani ISP pienet added a deliberately bad route to their routing table which got replicated and incorporated into everyone else's tables meaning global ISP's were unknowingly blocking youtube until it got identified and removed by all the normal ISP's except frothymouthedjihad.net et al.