Pakistan army mounts highest ever mountain rescue

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by razorman, Aug 10, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wow! Well done all involved in the rescue. 8)
  2. That is some bloody good aviation , Pilot skill there shouldn't be underestimated, well done him.
  3. I believe it is Pakistan Army Aviation No.8 squadron, which operates the SA-315B Lama helicopter needed to operate at such high altitude. Pakistan has bases at around 21-22K feet in Siachen, but they are normally supplied by men rather than copter due to the extreme height. This was an operation far above normal flying conditions.

There is an interesting account of high altitude warfare here:

which includes a famous incident from 1989, in which a Pakistani soldier was dangled off a rope over a 21,300 foot peak by helicopter in order to stave off an Indian assault. The mission was successful, and the solider in question had the honour of having that peak named after him, Naveed Top :D
  4. Magnificent flying from that pilot, well done! I think that climber owes many beers.... umm them being Pakistani they are prob not the biggest beer drinkers..... but I am sure the climber owes them a big thank you
  5. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Maybe not always openy, but ...Muree Brewery
    I believe they have a factory in the NWF Province too.
  6. Any comments Armourer? they are after all, Muslims...
  7. Thanks Razor but I think the Indians would just remind you of Kargil as their equaliser in the high altitude warfare stakes :wink:
    There use to be a time (not long ago) where a Pakistani Officer's drink of choice used to be a fine malt whiskey but of course no one drinks in the Pakistani army anymore , do they!
    No stories of certain British generals getting rather plastered with certain Pakistani generals then! :wink:
  8. Better not get started on the 'who won the Indo=Pak wars' :D There are whole internet forums dedicated to Indians and Pakistanis bickering over these issues you know :D

Boozing? In the 'Islamic' republic of Pakistan? Surely not :lol: :twisted:
  9. The most ever air to air kills in a single engagement was when a single PAF Sabre shot down SEVEN IAF Hunters.
  10. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Was that in the 1965 war?