Pakistan army air strike kills dozens of civilians

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8617843.stm

At least 73 civilians were killed when an army jet bombed a remote village in Pakistan's tribal region of Khyber, a local official has told the BBC.

"All those killed were innocent civilians," the local administration official told the BBC.

"The dead include women and children. Dozens of people were also injured."

The official said he could not speak on the record as the military had put a "gagging order" on him to limit the fallout.

He said that initial information suggested that the jet had strayed away from the conflict zone and mistook the village for a militant compound.
Rest in Peace.

Will your kin forgive us, or join the conflict against Western forces? I know what i would do in their position.

tubbs1970 said:

At least 73 civilians were killed when an army jet bombed a remote village in Pakistan's tribal region of Khyber, a local official has told the BBC.

"All those killed were innocent civilians," the local administration official told the BBC.

The official said he could not speak on the record as the military had put a "gagging order" on him to limit the fallout.

He said that initial information suggested that the jet had strayed away from the conflict zone and mistook the village for a militant compound.
Rest in Peace.

Will your kin forgive us, or join the conflict against Western forces? I know what i would do in their position.
Wouldn't that be the Air Force and not the Army, or are the rest of us missing something? I wish as a squaddie I could fly jets....

tubbs1970 said:

Rest in Peace.

Fox News

Pakistani airstrikes killed nearly 100 suspected militants in two northwest tribal regions Saturday, an apparent intensification of efforts by the army to mop up Taliban fighters fleeing a military operation farther south.

The strikes were carried out in the Orakzai and Khyber tribal regions.

Two intelligence officials said jets pounded the area twice — once when local tribesmen were retrieving bodies from the rubble. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to media on the record.

Local government official Rehan Khattak confirmed the strikes but refused to give a death toll.

The information could not be independently verified because access to the tribal areas is largely restricted.

Spin spin and more spin. Who to believe?

The Left wing BBC or The Right Wing Fox News.

I think most normal people, will use both reports to extrapolate the information they require.

hairyarse2 said:

I think most normal people, will use both reports to extrapolate the information they require.
Thanks for the alternate view - i won't accept either fully now, but shall wait for the full story to come out.

If the BBC is giving an impression of a civilian massacre, can you imagine what the potential taliban recruits in the local area are hearing?

Maybe time for a change of tactics... ?

tubbs1970 said:
hairyarse2 said:

Thanks for the alternate view - i won't accept either fully now, but shall wait for the full story to come out.

If the BBC is giving an impression of a civilian massacre, can you imagine what the potential taliban recruits in the local area are hearing?

Maybe time for a change of tactics... ?
Maybe its about time for a change of news source, The BBC are equally as crap as Fox News, they've been about as credible as Al Jazera for a while now, although the locals listen to Al Jazera more than the BBC anyway, which is a shocking loss of credibility.

Doesn't anyone find it odd that every single air strike anyone has ever done only ever seems to hit civilians and never a single combatant is reported killed by the locals?

tubbs1970 said:

Rest in Peace.

Given that it was a pakistani jet, I fail to see how the logical conclusion is to fight western forces.