Pakistan and the Taliban

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by EX_STAB, Aug 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From

Darra Adam Khel is the famous arms making centre.

Is the North West Frontier Province of Pakistan effectively Taliban controlled?
  2. Haven't Afghans had rather a lot of influence i the area since the Soviet invasion when millions of them buggered off (repeated when we invaded)? I think there are tribal connections that cross the border as well.
  3. Ex-Stab wrote:

From what I've read...

The NWFP region has never really been controlled by anyone. There's a lot of different tribes and they sprawl across the border between Pak and Afghanistan. They usually fight each other unless they're being attacked from outside in which case they all team up. The taliban are a sort of cross-tribal force set up initially by Pakistan's shady types but can't get anywhere without the support of the tribes. The tribes tolerate them but don't support them fully (at the moment).

The Pakistani army attacks on the NFWP and the US attacks on the Afghan border will make the tribes team up with the Taliban if the tribes see it as themselves coming under attack or if they think the end game is them being ruled by anyone but themselves.

Keeping the taliban seperate from the bulk of the pashtu tribes seems to me to be the most important thing. Finding out which tribes are most pro-taliban and then bribing their traditional enemies to attack them might be a good tactic.

Probably be a lot of good tips in books about how the empire dealt with that region in the past.
  4. IIRC we created that border in an attempt to split the tribes apart. Doesn't look like it worked.