Builds pair of 1/72 scale Fairey Swordfish

grey green camouflage with RN light green grey undersides.
grey and green a.jpg

decals success, I was wondering if they'd be like those REVELL one's for my recent Wessex build, but no, perfect wet and slide.
tail number c.jpg

managed to find an alternative tail number for aircraft Alpha/Able, and a different airframe tail number.
tail number a.jpg

the kit decals for aircraft Bravo/Baker,
tail number b.jpg

NSP

LE
There's actually pics somewhere of a Vampire parked alongside a Swordfish at one of the air stations.
I'm saving the ghost ship idea for a Lancaster build, and maybe a actual ghost ship, I have one or two in the Stash.
Conflating these two posts, for a "ghost" diorama maybe take inspiration from Freddie F and show a period-painted Vamp' in formation with an "ethereal" Mossie:-

For the "ethereal" effect I imagine that you'd do a Mossie paint job but each colour is several shades lighter than reality, maybe an overspray of white paint as a mist just to lighten it further and then add some sort of gloss lacquer to give it that "catching the moonlight" effect...? Implies the "ghost" to the viewer but leaves it "solid" enough to allow the viewer to suspend disbelief to the point of accepting that the Vamp' jockey would take the Mossie as a real sortie sent up by his control to get him home sort of thing. Maybe glass-case it but spray the back and base of the case black with pinpoints of white to suggest stars (not on the base, obviously - that's just black. Or maybe with a dark green mist overspray on the base to suggest the sea at night? Although if modelling to the story then he's in fog so maybe back and base of case black with an overspray mist of white and light grey to suggest being in cloud without being too dark? Maybe add tufts of that stuff the hardcore use with LEDs inside and orange and red paint to suggest 3D smoke plumes but without the paint and LEDs, to give a 3D effect to being lost in cloud...? Interesting challenge there to bring it to life, perhaps...?

It's a nice little story, that "The Shepherd." I must re-read it again soon.

Last edited:

NSP

LE
managed to find an alternative tail number for aircraft Alpha/Able, and a different airframe tail number.
When did the world unify on the phonetic alphabet as we know it today? In WWII movies there seems to be no standardisation even within the same military branch (army/navy/air force) of one nation let alone between branches, and let alone again between collected allied armies/navies/air forces.

Conflating these two posts, for a "ghost" diorama maybe take inspiration from Freddie F and show a period-painted Vamp' in formation with an "ethereal" Mossie:-

For the "ethereal" effect I imagine that you'd do a Mossie paint job but each colour is several shades lighter than reality, maybe an overspray of white paint as a mist just to lighten it further and then add some sort of gloss lacquer to give it that "catching the moonlight" effect...? I
dare I say it, but painting it in 50 shades of grey?
well, not 50, but various grey tones, with pink/sky blue roundels and tail flashes?
1636602562178.png

tiv

LE
The rear cockpit appears to be partially enclosed in that photo with transparencies in the 'roof'. Anyone know if this was a common feature?
After a bit of searching the impression is that it was to provide some protection for the radar kit in the ASV equipped aircraft.

Swordfish ASV PPI.jpg

Further to that, firstly Swordfish in DDay markings…I first heard of the Swordfish canopy while on holiybubs in Malta and they had one to be restored at the Aircraft museum.View attachment 614731While trying to find decent pictures of the Canadian canopy, I came across this….
Malta had the infamous trio (?) of Gloster Gladiators, so I wonder if that was that the inspiration?

3062-1128bc6eca4421628417519277faf0f0.jpg

Malta had the infamous trio (?) of Gloster Gladiators, so I wonder if that was that the inspiration?

3062-1128bc6eca4421628417519277faf0f0.jpg
“Faith” “Hope” & “Charity”, the fuselage of one of them still exists in the National War Museum in Fort Elmo Valletta Malta. Which one I can’t remember and it’s it’s in pride of place on a pedestal with no wings. But the daft thing is up at the Malta Aviation Museum at the old Ta’Qali Airfield they’ve got Gladiator wings.
You’d think they’d get together and give her some wings, no!!! When I went in 2007, the two managers of both museums hated each other! So while both were in charge it wasn’t going to happen, I hope that’s changed by now.
Just remembered, it was ether War Picture Library or Commando combat manuals that actually covered their story.

“Faith” “Hope” & “Charity”, the fuselage of one of them still exists in the National War Museum in Fort Elmo Valletta Malta. Which one I can’t remember and it’s it’s in pride of place on a pedestal with no wings. But the daft thing is up at the Malta Aviation Museum at the old Ta’Qali Airfield they’ve got Gladiator wings.
You’d think they’d get together and give her some wings, no!!! When I went in 2007, the two managers of both museums hated each other! So while both were in charge it wasn’t going to happen, I hope that’s changed by now.
Just remembered, it was ether War Picture Library or Commando combat manuals that actually covered their story.
At the risk of thread drift, apparently there were six airframes from which only three were considered airworthy at any given time. Maybe a new thread is needed?

My purpose in pointing at the Gladiator was the enclosed cockpit. The rivet marks on the curved section of the lower rear of the enclosure suggested that the one on the Swordfish came originally from a Gladiator:

For anyone who is interested in the swordfish I heartily recommend this book View attachment 614688a superb book. If anyone buys it and disagees I'll refund the cost and put you on ignore!

That book cover is interesting, it my well be an amalgamation of images, but the upper two are one behind the other, and close together, just as I intend to depict my planes. Thanks for showing that.

the exhaust is an odd one, it sticks right out into the slip stream, for cooling it I guess, it comes right out of the exhaust collector ring that I need to paint burned brass/copper colour, but the exhaust I've done as rusty, hoping that's right.
exhaust colour cu.jpg

I was going to coat the plane in matt varnish, but they look quite understated as they are.
decals in datlight.jpg

the glazing, TAG gun and Torpedos still to fit.
black torpedoes.jpg

the exhaust is an odd one, it sticks right out into the slip stream, for cooling it I guess, it comes right out of the exhaust collector ring that I need to paint burned brass/copper colour, but the exhaust I've done as rusty, hoping that's right.
View attachment 615077
I was going to coat the plane in matt varnish, but they look quite understated as they are.
View attachment 615078
the glazing, TAG gun and Torpedos still to fit.
View attachment 615079
That's the exhaust system with flame suppression. That was used on the RAF Matt black version.
Can't rememberif the matchbox kit had to options or if you had to cut down that exhaust.
Incidentally the exhaust should be just below the landing gear strut. Iirc

1636653024028.png

At the risk of thread drift, apparently there were six airframes from which only three were considered airworthy at any given time. Maybe a new thread is needed?

My purpose in pointing at the Gladiator was the enclosed cockpit. The rivet marks on the curved section of the lower rear of the enclosure suggested that the one on the Swordfish came originally from a Gladiator:

As far as I know, it’s a Canadian design for their Coastal patrol Stringbags. To get the Aircrew in shelter in the Canadian winters.

the townend exhaust collective ring should be steel not burned copper as I have painted it, the exhaust is wrong, it's a RAF night ops mark three, but they've been painted and fitted now so I'll have to live with their inaccuracies, live and learn for the Tamiya 1/48 floatplane swordfish I'm making further on down the line. Crew figures next.
copper ring a.jpg

Latest Threads