Painting rocks white.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by DeskPilot, Jun 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The even scarier thing is, someone actually looked at this and thought 'Hmm, there's a good idea, I'll fund that'!
  2. I thought this was about WW2 minefield marking
  3. I thought it was about SUS duties at Hobart Barracks. :cry:
  4. Reminds me of something that I read earlier about painting houses white to reflect heat energy during a nuclear blast and, therefore, supposedly making it a safer place to be:

The House in the Middle is a 1954 short (12:09) documentary film produced by the Federal Civil Defense Administration and the National Clean Up-Paint Up-Fix Up Bureau, which attempted to show that a clean, freshly painted house is more likely to survive a nuclear attack than its poorly maintained counterpart. It was included in the first issue of the DVD magazine, Wholphin.

In 2001 the United States Library of Congress deemed the film "culturally significant" and selected it for preservation in the National Film Registry.

The film was actually produced by the National Paint, Varnish and Lacquer Association. :clap:

The likelihood that repainting a house would be effective in protecting it from the extreme heat and blast force of a nuclear explosion is questionable, and the film all but ignores the status of the structure's occupants during the event.
  5. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

My stepfather had to have a coal heap painted white in Gibraltar in 1943 but that was to stop his Marines falling into it on their way back to the troopship from Main Street.
  6. I thought it was ROP's at 26 Iserlohn
  7. Is he a former Foreign Legionnaire ? They have a serious taste for painting stone white when bored or on punishment....
  8. For some odd reason I thought this thread had to do with the old saying

"If it moves salute it. If it doesn't move pick it up. If you can't pick it up, paint it."
  9. I fail to understand how painting the RAF Regiment will make any difference at all.
  10. My Dad on questioning why he was painting coal white (1944-56, still waiting to demob.) was told, as quick as a flash, that it was to stop the coal going soft...
  11. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Guarding airfields in Norway? In winter?
  12. Mr_Fingerz

More to do with the prevention of coal theft. Obviously never heard of; (a) remove white coal, (b) nick black coal, (c) put white coal back. (d) run away.... :D
  13. Won't that make them stand out like sore thumbs in the hotel lobby?
  14. Mr_Fingerz

Probably, and the white emulsion flaking off will make a mess of the carpet - resulting in a fcuk-off huige bill for the RAF/MOD. (Result???)