Paint Mixing

Hi Everyone,
Another DIY (ish) question from me, I'm afraid.

There are plenty of places that offer paint mixing if you bring in a sample of the colour you want - however I only have the RGB combination / LTV. Does anyone know any chains that will mix from this?

Although I have the colour on a computer screen, they don't always reflect the same in real life. A friend's house in the US has the colour, and I liked it in person so without them chipping off a piece of the plaster I'm a bit stuck.

The paint company they bought it from (Behr) does not appear to have a UK stockist.

Cheers.

Hi Everyone,

There are plenty of places that offer paint mixing if you bring in a sample of the colour you want - however I only have the RGB combination / LTV. Does anyone know any chains that will mix from this?

Although I have the colour on a computer screen, they don't always reflect the same in real life. A friend's house in the US has the colour, and I liked it in person so without them chipping off a piece of the plaster I'm a bit stuck.

The paint company they bought it from (Behr) does not appear to have a UK stockist.

Cheers.

Try a dulux trade centre. You could get a few sample pots, then when you go for the colour you want they will discount the cost of the sample pot.

I believe there is an international code for almost every paint colour. If you get the Behr colour name and code, then Robert may well be your brother's sister.

Try a dulux trade centre. You could get a few sample pots, then when you go for the colour you want they will discount the cost of the sample pot.
Do you know if they'll do it from the RGB code alone?

Didn't know about the discount thing - ta.

I believe there is an international code for almost every paint colour. If you get the Behr colour name and code, then Robert may well be your brother's sister.
I've got the colour combination, and the M510 (or whatever) code - I guess I could throw this at them and see what they can come up with.

I've got the colour combination, and the M510 (or whatever) code - I guess I could throw this at them and see what they can come up with.

Another variable - you might want to ask the friend what the finish is, because there's five standard finishes over here. (next bit/definitions robbed off Google):

Flat/Matte: Flat paints (also called matte paints) have the least amount of shine. ...
Eggshell: Eggshell finishes are a very popular paint finish. ...
Satin: Satin finishes are the most common interior paint finish. ...
Semi-gloss: Semi-gloss paints are shiny and reflective.
Gloss: High-gloss paints are the most shiny.

Obviously walls are usually one of the middle three, but the lighting may change the apparent shade of the paint. In our old house, we had a small vestibule with a diagonal wall on one side, and four walls altogether. They were all actually slightly different shades, but looked the same because of the angles. We used it as a test-bed while choosing which we preferred, and found that we didn't need to repaint it, because you couldn't tell the difference due to the different amount of light falling on it/being reflected.

What colour are you trying to use if I may inquire?

There's plenty similar. Hundreds which, to my eye, are identical, but the Mrs wants that one. She has a particular thing about colours - her father ran his own printing business for decades, so it's rubbed off on her.

There's plenty similar. Hundreds which, to my eye, are identical, but the Mrs wants that one. She has a particular thing about colours - her father ran his own printing business for decades, so it's rubbed off on her.
It would cost a fortune in shipping...considering the subject matter.

But maybe look into these folks if it has to be the "one". If she hates it you will just end up doing it over again.

Spartak1st

Old-Salt
Hi Everyone,

Cheers.
Try this tool, it converts RGB to international colour classifications. Lot’s of good info on there too.

[Convert RGB colours to BS, RAL, NCS, Pantone, Australian, Federal 595C, Farrow and Ball, Little Greene, Dulux Trade and DIN standards and CieLab

If you need a few of the cardboard colour sample things sending over giz a shout and I'll bung them in the post.

It's very hard matching colours even with proper fs/Ron etc numbers.ask any of the modlers on this site.

Nice colour by the way. I'll look in my stash of colour cards for that.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

You’ll never match it, the sun will shine differently on it, casting shadows, she‘ll probably want new windows and curtains, then there’s carpet to consider, and you come on here asking for a shade of paint.
Its just the beginning, oh I forgot new soft furnishings, probably a whole new suite.
Good luck;)

I think I know Tappets real name...

1612558061916.png

Renfield.... I should have known.

Spartak1st

Old-Salt

Try Ultramarine Blue by Farrow and Ball. Great quality paint. Goes on a dream.

My other uses those 1ft square canvasses you can buy cheap from Hobbycraft to paint with test pots to check colour against different parts of the wall in daylight and overhead light to ensure its what she wants, before buying far too much.

You’ll never match it, the sun will shine differently on it, casting shadows, she‘ll probably want new windows and curtains, then there’s carpet to consider, and you come on here asking for a shade of paint.
Its just the beginning, oh I forgot new soft furnishings, probably a whole new suite.
Good luck;)
I managed (for now) to convince her that paint by another manufacturer, which is exactly the fúcking same will do, seeing as it's my office.

I know, I'll pay for it later - but am happy that for now there is peace.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I managed (for now) to convince her that paint by another manufacturer, which is exactly the fúcking same will do, seeing as it's my office.

I know, I'll pay for it later - but am happy that for now there is peace.
Good man.

Good luck;)
And then, before you know what way is up, she just NEEDS a new house.

Grrrr.
Mumble.
Bolocks.
Etc