pain - left shin

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Proper_Gander, Mar 2, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i have a muscular problem in my left shin that's completely disrupted my running routine for the last month now. it's pissing me off. at first i thought i just need to give it a break for a week or so. well i have, 2 or 3 times now, it still hasn't completely gone.

it just hardens like feck after 2-3km.

any ideas what it could be and/or what i could do about it?

looking at this pic:
    [​IMG]

it effects the Tibialis anterior

2. It is commonly known as 'shin-splints', google it for course of action.

3. that what i thought it was all along... but lately i was thinking it must be something else...

how much rest could it possibly need! 1 month and still hardly any improvement..

4. I would look at stretches and exercise from hip down:

Piriformis
    ITB
    Quad
    Ham string
    Footballers groin stretch
    All lower leg
    Calf raises then stretch etc

A good piece of equipment I found was a foam roller with guidance from my physio, working on the whole leg and glute.

I would also recommend runners world forum on the matter, I had the same symptoms.

Google can be your friend, it can also turn you into a doctor.

5. cheers, i'll have to look into that.
    just the other day there was an article about how useless stretching is.

don't know what to believe anymore lately!

or a hypochondriac.

seriously, the amount of contradictory articles on the matter is amazing.

6. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Shin splints is a catch-all term covering everything from stress fractures (where you can barely walk and take months to heal) to a little soft-tissue niggle that needs a couple of weeks rest and stretching. So your first job is to find out what the problem is. This could be anything from shoes, biomechanics, or training routine.

If it's a soft-tissue injury the surrounding muscle will tighten up after just 5 mins or so of running in order to protect the site of the injury. It's often tempting to press on through this minor discomfort until you do further real damage to the injury and you end up walking 2 miles home.

You may well be able to self-diagnose on the internet, on the other hand you may well end up doing all sorts of stretches that make no real difference. Ideally you need a friendly physio to get some fingers on the injury and to discover the cause.

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

See a good doc as soon as possible. I had what I thought was splints and it was anterior compartment syndrome. I managed 2 more years on ops before I left anyway but I wasnt able to run properly again without surgery.

8. I echo ugly, get yourself to the docs for it to be checked. However i would add also look for a sports clinic near you for a sports massage and perhaps a physio to look at it.

I had severe pains in my left calf and shin, doc couldnt figure it out nor could the NHS physio. One appointment at my local sports clinic they prescribed a massage to relax the muscles, pain went away nicely even though the massage hurt like hell. Actually, even though i was off running for 2 weeks i dropped my 1.5 mile time by a minute. The pain was obviously causing performance issues.

Edit to add - My above is based on you being a fellow STAB. If you are in get to the MO.

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Mine was picked up by thee RM C/Sgt taking us for a run At Balynkinler NIPG. He commented that I ran wrong, not relaxed and awkwardly. He was right but he got me seen to by the MO and treatment started.

10. I changed my running style last year (to 'pose' running) and had a load of issues with tight calf muscles and plantar fasciitis due to the change. I had 'dry needling' treatment (basically accupuncture without the yin/yan bollocks). It fixed it in 3 treatments.

It may be nothing more than tight muscles, so relax and get it checked out at the docs, but don't panic it's calf cancer just yet.

11. thanks for the comments, you've all been very helpful. you're right, i better have it looked at.

got myself some new running shoes over the weekend and got some brilliant consultance. complete with a muscle loosening (and fecking painful) massage by the shop owner who is also a physio.
    it made it slightly better but not enough.

see if i can find a good doc nearby, my GP retired.

meanwhile i'll go for a swim this evening.

let's hope i haven't trained myself into a cripple before i even got into the army. 8-(

12. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

As an aside, you have to find the right doctor. After 22 years running in and for the Army almost all military docs are keen to sort you out and get you back on the road. Many civvy doctors when told it hurts you to run, just tell you to stop running, problem fixed, next patient please.

So tell them you need to get fit to join the Army and running is one of the tests you have to pass.

13. Also, don't mention shin splints, because many doctors will put that in your records. You have pain in the front of your lower leg, which eases with massage. Say nothing more, otherwise your records will look shit.

14. 1. You don't know what the problem is. You have neither training nor experience. Your career may depend on the resolution of this
    problem.
    2. I don't know what the problem is.
    3. Most posters here don't know what the problem is.
    4. Physio as a knowledge set is outside the domain of many doctors, so
    5. Get yourself to the best sports physio that you can find.

Specifically, one who has the equipment to video your gait and the experience to analyse it.
    PM me if you like.

Best of luck

Old Rat
    Out

15. thanks, i'll look up a sports doc and make an appointment next week.