Pain in the Back Side

#1
when im out for a run on flat terrain i feel fine, but when i start to run up hill for a few minits i start to get lower back pains, is this right for a 17 year old??
 
#2
Yes it is if you are not used to it, on the days when you are not running try some work on your core muscle groups which support the back. Sit ups and press ups are the most obvious that spring to mind. Also make sure your trainers are running shoes and not some chav fashion accesory
 
#3
Get some good asics running shoes. You might find that your calfs will start hurting you aswell. Which is basically the sheath on the outside of the muscle giving you gyp because your muscles are expanding.
 
#4
well other than that and my broken hand, my bodys a temple. All i got to do now is wait until feb

thanks for adive il get working on them core muscle groups an maybe invest in some new sneakers
 
#7
One of my routes takes me up a steep hill for a mile and a wee bit, then a flat run of about half a mile, then a mile down hill of a similar gradient. I find my back starts aching on the downhill part, but I think it's because going downhill I shift my centre of gravity by arching my back involuntarily. I've been running regularly for a year or so now and it still happens. It's fine for the rest of the day and when I go to the gym though, so sod it, be reet.
 
#8
Just to expand (memory has been jogged)...

Lower back pain is caused by various things, from strain on a muscle, pressure on a nerve (severe case sciatica) or a slipped disc etc. All easily "treatable". In all cases and whatever diagnosis you get (Docs, Physios, Osteopaths and chiropractors tend to give the same injury different diagnosis') the treatment is generally the same:

Use heat if you want for up to 30 minutes
Rest by lieing down with a pillow under the head and under the knees.
Stretches may help the lower back muscles, lay back and raise your knees to your chest. Pull them in and force your lower back down.
KEEP ACTIVE! Sitting around tends to make the symptoms of back pain worse. Keeping active is great.


Obviously seek expert advice as im just a bloke on the net :) But thats common advice.

Oh yeah, it usually treats itself in a matter of weeks/ months. It can take a year or more though... bit shit that is :) I'd just live with it :)
 
#9
i've been suffering from lower back pain the past 2 weeks

strained a muscle at the RSC.. almost completely healed now though

had 2 days rest, then like said i kept active... been going the gym still but not been usin the rowin machines or free weights

went out on my pushbike the other day aswell for 20miles...and went on a 6km run, helped it a lot

i was worrying at first coz i start basic in just over 2 weeks but it feels fine now
 
#10
Chris_2oo6 said:
i've been suffering from lower back pain the past 2 weeks

strained a muscle at the RSC.. almost completely healed now though

had 2 days rest, then like said i kept active... been going the gym still but not been usin the rowin machines or free weights

went out on my pushbike the other day aswell for 20miles...and went on a 6km run, helped it a lot

i was worrying at first coz i start basic in just over 2 weeks but it feels fine now
I got the impression that too much gym work can become a hindarance when training for the army if you put on too much bulk
 
#12
Armed_and_dangerous said:
Chris_2oo6 said:
i've been suffering from lower back pain the past 2 weeks

strained a muscle at the RSC.. almost completely healed now though

had 2 days rest, then like said i kept active... been going the gym still but not been usin the rowin machines or free weights

went out on my pushbike the other day aswell for 20miles...and went on a 6km run, helped it a lot

i was worrying at first coz i start basic in just over 2 weeks but it feels fine now
I got the impression that too much gym work can become a hindarance when training for the army if you put on too much bulk
i havent put too much bulk on to be honest

5'9" and 12 stone.. just toned up + gained more strength
 
#13
sounds like a sensible weight to be, do you ever use a bench press? i find mixing up heavy lifts, with light weights and high reps helps with pressups.
 
#15
Armed_and_dangerous said:
sounds like a sensible weight to be, do you ever use a bench press? i find mixing up heavy lifts, with light weights and high reps helps with pressups.
no mate i dont use it

just use all the machines then spend a bit on the freeweights
 
#17
UK_G,
yes, sitting is one of the major causes of low back pain. You can hack it if you sit right but if you don't your ligaments (the bits that hold your low back together) start to creep and after 20 minutes things start to move. If you let them crack like this for long enough then the tissues surrounding your joints start to susustain micro-injuries and begin to rumble which can lead to fairly full-on pain if you don't change what you're doing.

I reckon a 3 minute change of posture every 20 minutes will save you.

Never do sit-ups - they're mad for low backs, stick to stability exercises and you'll come up smiling. Also, ice is the way forward if you're in pain.
 
#18
Uk General

There is a variety of reasons why you may be experiencing this lower back pain when you run up hill. The most obvious that springs to mind is that you may be over flexing your spine-leaning forward too much. This will put extra stress on your lower back muscles causing them to ache. Maybe think about adjusting your posture as you run uphill, maintain a straighter spine, keep your head up and shoulders pulled back a little but stay relaxed and don't tense up.

You are still growing and will do so, up until the age of 21 or there abouts. So this may also be related to a growth spurt. If you had any spinal deformaties then I think you would propably experience these aches and pains when you were running on level ground too, or just in daily activities.

Lower back training is largely ignored, so too, are the core muscles of the abdominal area. I would suggest you invest in a quality book that explains and trains the "Core Muscles". Without a strong core the whole body will be less functional in all planes of movement, whether in sport; or plain and simple daily living!

To put your mind at rest about your back, you could always seek out a recommended physioterrorist who could carry out a thorough assessment of that area. You will have to pay for it but it may be a good investment, especially if you are hoping for a career in the military.

Good luck in your training.

Lats
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top