pain in calf

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by adam123, Aug 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i'm currently in training for army but when i run at a steady pace i keep getting pain in my calves! this happens at about the 1.5 mile stage, anyone have ant ideas? cheers

2. I'd recommend getting a vet to put them down. Or perhaps we should call the RSPCA? I'm not quite sure what the law is on making animals run? They do however run bulls in Pamplova though ;)

3. you're going to die.

How bad is the pain? Is it stiffness or actual stabbing 'oh god I'm going to die' pain?

4. Pain in the calf can be caused by a number of reasons.

Mine was casued by a landmine exploding in the vicinity of my left foot but I suspect that yours is caused by being a bit chubby.

Hope that helps.

5. would you recomend the AP mine weight loss programme?

6. A guarenteed instant loss of 5kg ... worth every moment.

7. certainly quicker than atkins.

8. Holy dog sh!t! Stretching? Surely not something so simple...It's his calves for crying out loud!!

9. you're nasty :cry:

10. isit towards your shins or on your actual calf? lots of ppl have shin splints could it be that?

11. I don't think ants will help. They are very small and can be crushed by a calves hooves.

12. Aww, did the ikkle girl make the big boy cry? :D

13. I enjoy a joke like the next person, but I do feel your reaction was just an over reaction to Mr_Ds reasonable comment. It seems unfair to attack someone you've never met, in such a vitriolic manner. And I have to say, if you do it again I will probably rape you and Mr Deputy will video it before peeing on your face and sending the tape to all your friends and family along with a sample of your bloodied and torn underwear.

14. The pain can be caused by a variety of reasons.

Stretching will likely help and certainly do no harm. Be sure to stretch both the 'upper and lower calf'. Do 15 and 16 here:
    http://www.physioroom.com/prevention/stretching4_16.php

By the way, you don't really want to stretch the achilles tendon, because it isn't designed to stretch. However that's not what exercise 16 really does. It stretches a muscle called the soleus, which goes underneath the main big calf muscles that you can see.

also, have a prod around. you will likely find some very tender spots. These are knots of injured muscle. They may increase tightness in your calf, as they will tend to shorten the muscle. Massage these directly. One method is to press fairly hard directly on the sore spot. This will hurt a lot, but over 30-40 seconds the pain will recede as the bodies natural pain killers and relaxants go to the point of pain.

Another very top tip is to check your running shoes suit the kind of feet you've got. Look here.
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=481

Google your model of running shoes and find out whether they're 'cushioned', 'motion control' or 'stability'. Often a change to the right shoes is all it takes.

Make sure you buy your running shoes from a real sports shop, rather than JJB sports, which to be honest is a clothes shop for chavs. A good running shop will give the kind of help that the runners world web page gives.

And if you're running in something other than running shoes, then quite simply don't.

15. oh dear! :eek: