Paid to give up smoking...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by spike7451, Jul 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Just watching this on BBC News, :x
    For the past three month's,smokers in Dundee get paid £12.50 per week of public money providing they pass a test.
    The money is paid thru a smartcard & cant be used to but fags or booze.
    Just watching some twonk from the NHS's who's saying it only costs £850 ish PER PERSON compared to the thousands who get lung cancer...
    I dont smoke myself,never have & it angers me that my taxes are going to pay for a 'ex smoker to be's' food bill!!!
    (Eben tho I'm currently between jobs,you get my drift...)
    Opinions chaps?

2. Isn't enough money in the world to make me give up

3. Look on it as a tax rebate to the smoker, after all the amount of tobacco duty that they've paid over the years must run into tens of thousands. Besides, if it wasn't for the tax on smokers who do you think would be paying for the NHS?

4. CountryGal

CountryGal LE Book Reviewer

Smoking related illness/disease cost the nhs 5bn a year (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8086142.stm) - wouldnt it be better to spend some at the beginning and try and save some at the end - seeing us taxpayers pay for the nhs anyways? ;o)

5. We should be encouraging more smokers.
    They contribute more in tax than non-smokers.
    Plus they generally die younger, saving on the state pension fund.

6. Worryingly, nothing Miner said was wrong.

7. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Does this mean if I pretend to start smoking then give up I can claim £12.50 a week?

8. Get one of those liquorice pipes. Twenty of those a day and you'll need to spend your £12.50 on bog roll and Harpic.

9. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Me and the missus decided to give up, and we got some stuff called 'Champex' on prescription. 4 weeks later, with ease, both of us gave up. Went back to the doc's for a lung function test, and got £60.00 between us for being good!

That wasn't why we did it, but it sure helped! :D

BTW - that Champex stuff - it's so good it's got a side-effects list that runs into two pages of very small print, but by 'eckers, it works. If you are thinking of giving up the evil weed, try Champex. It's a tablet, you take it for about 2 weeks at half strength (whilst still smoking), then another period with an increased dose as you quit the fags, and then a reduced dose for a period afterwards. I think it's 30 days total.

I stopped smoking after 7 days, quiye the tablets at 14 days, and haven't looked back. Stick it up your ARRSE cyclops - you'll not have taxes off me through fags!

10. Interested to know more about the side-effects, Biped. I tried Zyban a couple of years ago, and gave up for 3 months before I wimped out. That had some fairly unpleasant side effects (sleep deprivation being the most noticeable) - how does Champex compare?

11. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Well, the side-effects list reads like a horror story, but all I got was, well, a lack of smoking wishes and vivid dreams. I can't honestly say what else I got. The missus got a bit restless in the night.

BTW - it's Champix, which contains the drug 'Varenicline tartrate' and is made by Pfizer.

Here's the biggies:

Very common (affect more than 1 in 10 people)

* Nausea.
    * Headache.
    * Difficulty sleeping (insomnia).
    * Abnormal dreams.

Common (affect between 1 in 10 and 1 in 100 people)

* Sleepiness or fatigue.
    * Dizziness.
    * Change in taste.
    * Dry mouth.
    * Disturbances of the gut such as constipation, diarrhoea, vomiting, abdominal discomfort or bloating, indigestion, wind (flatulence).
    * Increased appetite.

Uncommon (affect between 1 in 100 and 1 in 1000 people)

* Decreased appetite.
    * Inflammation of the nose and throat (nasopharyngitis), sinuses (sinusitis) or lungs (bronchitis).
    * Feeling thirsty.
    * Shortness of breath, cough or hoarseness.
    * Throat irritation.
    * Runny nose.
    * Snoring.
    * Mood swings.
    * Abnormal thinking.
    * Changes in sex drive.
    * Tremor.
    * Abnormal co-ordination.
    * Problems with speech.
    * Restlessness or agitation.
    * Awareness of your heartbeat (palpitations) or abnormal heartbeats.
    * Abnormal intolerance of the eyes to light.
    * Skin reactions such as rash, itching or sweating.
    * Watery eyes.
    * Increased urination.
    * Chest pain.
    * Increased blood pressure or heart rate.
    * Increased weight.
    * Joint stiffness.
    * Feeling cold.

Unknown frequency (cases have been reported since the medicine has been on the market)

* Depression.
    * Suicidal thoughts.
    * Heart attack.

The side effects listed above may not include all of the side effects reported by the medicine's manufacturer.

12. What would rather pay? the money tomake them quit or the money to help them live later on?

13. Thanks Biped - reads pretty much the same as the list of potential Zyban side-effects, although the only one I got was the sleep disturbance.