Paging the COs'

Did you, perchance see this?

Money, Gossip and Beer - The Sunday Times.

The British Library has helped to compile a list of 100 websites that it believes will be “essential reading” for future historians seeking a varied snapshot of life today, writes Dipesh Gadher.
They include:
moneysavingexpert.com — founded by Martin Lewis in 2003, this is the country’s biggest consumer site, with more than 13m users a month
arrse.co.uk — the Army Rumour Service provides an insight into the armed forces, often through candid postings by serving members

"Often through candid postings by serving members" - but more usually a load of old toot by random lunatics.

I hadn't spotted that but many thanks indeed - you've just made my day!

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
I was wondering when somebody was going to snag that one. I would have done it myself but I would have been tempted to leave a pithy poem for future historians. Strange that the printed version puts ARRSE second behind some unheard of schoolboy money advice website. The online version mentions News from Wales but not the ARRSE.

The 100 websites that will be essential reading in 2113 | The Sunday Times

Anybody got surname and postcode for the people who compile the online version?

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
I hadn't spotted that but many thanks indeed - you've just made my day!
Until 3,027 defamation claims from lawyers hit your doormat, followed by 6,438 claims for stress from easily shocked members of the public reading posts from the site's less house trained members.

Wordsmith

If ARRSE is to be used for the purpose of future historical study, wouldn't it be an idea to assign a credibility rating to each user and thread?

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Vital reading for anyone needing to write a book about the Harrier.

And the social history of the shed.

If ARRSE is to be used for the purpose of future historical study, wouldn't it be an idea to assign a credibility rating to each user and thread?
A good idea but how do you prove credibility? It's an anonymous website to protect serving members so service history is out.

Allowing members to vote wouldn't work because chaps that have put plenty of time in, seen several operational tours and done arduous courses will be voted down by the tear stained, never served bellwhiffs that they have mercilessly called some names on the internet.

Bugger. The ballad of baron castleshortt now stands a credible chance of being preserved for posterity.
Given the way stories evolve in the telling, i'm putting a fiver down that in 10 centuries time t'baron will be the next king arthur. All thanks to arrse.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
It is good that historians in future times will have an accurate record of how all the woes of the British Army, and subsequent demise of Great Britain prior to its takeover by the mighty EuroZone are all down to the decision to do away with the SLR!

Why prove it? Just allocate a credible credibility rating. In 100 years time we're not going to be here so why worry?
Go and stand in the corner and think about what you've said.

Although our ancestors will probably be fighting in a toxic, post apocalypse landscape over food and water in a nightmarish future that makes Mad Max resemble the Tellytubbies I can't in all honesty go to my grave thinking there's a possibility that anyone could ever be allowed to think Chocolate-frog has ever said anything of worth.

It is good that historians in future times will have an accurate record of how all the woes of the British Army, and subsequent demise of Great Britain prior to its takeover by the mighty EuroZone are all down to the decision to do away with the SLR!
Fear not, we'll light your breath as they storm up the beaches.

If they are not dead already.
The second I posted that I noticed I should have had a shorter lunch. Oh well, te biker punks of the future will assume their ancestors drank worse than Auld-Yin on pension day.

Travelgall

LE
Kit Reviewer
I see no problem with somebody who has a MOD address being certified genuine. Some sort of stamp on their avitar. Suppose it wouldn't work for those who last rubbed up against the military when Puttees were still issued but it might get rid of a few of the Tinfoil hat wearers.

I see no problem with somebody who has a MOD address being certified genuine. Some sort of stamp on their avitar. Suppose it wouldn't work for those who last rubbed up against the military when Puttees were still issued but it might get rid of a few of the Tinfoil hat wearers.
I'm living in my 20th quarter, have a couple of pairs of puttees somewhere and have a selection of tin-foil hats depending on the occasion. You won't take me alive.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The second I posted that I noticed I should have had a shorter lunch. Oh well, te biker punks of the future will assume their ancestors drank worse than Auld-Yin on pension day.
A tad ironic in while discussing future researchers it is painfully obvious that you have not done much research yourself.

Still, based on some MilHist I have read, you are up with the leaders.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DozyBint Campaigns 3
tomahawk6 Multinational HQ 3
J Weapons, Equipment & Rations 5