Page size for TAMS

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by EX_STAB, Dec 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I need to send some laminated cards of information out to a mate on Herrick and want to make them the right size to fit whatever aide memoire folder is in general use today.

Could someone suggest a standard page size and the spacings for holes to fit the rings?

2. It should be A5 if I'm correct.
  3. msr

msr LE

The TAM is approx 11cm x 17 cm, which is not A5 :(

If want to send him some cards, get this:
    also available in desert:

Then get the template from here:
    Downloadable templates to use with "Rite in the Rain" Loose Leaf Copier Paper:

and create them.

This is not too easy, as the loose leaf paper is Letter and not A4, so you will have to tell your printer to expect Letter size paper (and possibly move the paper guides inside the paper tray). That having been said, it is not beyond the capabilities of someone who has a moderate level of technical competence.

As a hint, try just giving the boxes on the template a light gray border and printing them with no text. That way, if they don't line up right, you haven't wasted any paper, as you can use them as blank sheets.

If you need a hand drop me a PM, as I have made some templates which allow for double sided printing and have had quite a bit of practice over the last few days ;)

4. I stand corrected!

Cancel my last tssch!
  5. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

ISTR that the page size was the same as a filofax (as in 80's stockbroker). This includes the positioning of the holes.

ISTR that I used a bright red filofax to hold my TAM etc and a military TAM folder to hold my broker's contact details and restaurant guide etc...
  6. You'd think they'd have the common sense to publish TAMs and other pocket books in A6 which, apart from being a convenient pocket size, would make it a zillion times easier to produce material to fit....

.... then again, common sense in procurement....?
  7. The filofax size is fairly sensical though.

I'm just waiting for the folder for all the newish MATTs gubbins to be held in!
  8. The AATAM takes filofax personal size paper, there are many types of filofax out there, but that is the size you need.

9. OMG! Where on earth did you get that TAM from? The AATAM which is the current aide mémoire, came out in 2002! If your mate is on Herrick, let’s hope he has up to date publications out there!

10. msr

msr LE

I thought 2005 was the latest version...

11. You are not wrong MSR, that is the latest amendment, but as I said the AATAM came out in 2002.

12. On the subject of the paper, I managed to get a ream of continuous-fold (or whatever its's called) Filofax Personal paper from somewhere on eBay a few years ago. It was already punched, just required separating sheet from sheet before loading into the printer.

There may be more of it if you search around, it's a damned sight more economical than buying 20-sheet packs and less labour-intensive than cutting A4 to size.

Haven't yet come across laminate pockets with holes in the right place though....
  13. You can buy the hole punch for filofax personal at good stationary shops, or do what I did and get your clerk to order one out of the stationary catalogue!!

14. msr

msr LE

Laminated pockets? Do the job properly: