Page Not Updating

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by HHH, Apr 10, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. HHH

HHH LE

Once you had read the last post of a thread and returned to "last 50" or "new posts" the page updated to show you which threads you had read by changing the thread title from bold type to normal type, now it doesn't, until you hit F5.

Capture page not updating.jpg
  2. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Yep, since the weekend.
  3. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

OK, thanks. I'll take a look
  4. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Frustratingly mine is working fine. What browser please? I've tried Chrome, Firefox and IE9.

Also, at the risk of being insulting, can you confirm that you're not just clicking 'back' but are getting a fresh page by clicking on 'Last 50' again.
  5. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

IE8 here. It refreshes if I use 'last 50' again, but until the weekend it used to refresh simply by hitting 'back'. It's no drama, just a slight change.
  6. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Interesting. I'm surprised 'back' ever refreshed the page. I can't immediately think of anything we've done that could change browser behaviour like that, but will mull it over.
  7. I use Opera & have always had to use the last 50 tab to refresh. Using the back button only loads the page which is still in the PCs cache.
  8. I am running IE9 and my experience with refresh is exactly as yours .
  9. HHH

HHH LE

I'm using IE9 also and as said above hitting back used to update the page.

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE app
  10. Back definitely DID refresh the until recently (I hated it when things were hectic trying follow multiple threads)
    The Page down loading Pin wheel dingus is spinning away constantly now, even as I type and having read the page here, which is a feature of the last few weeks / months too.

11. HHH

HHH LE

Back also refreshed the page using the Slim Browser.

Just as a note; Since I joined the site a year ago "back" has always refreshed the page ( I also thought it used to using Chrome & Firefox)
  12. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Mmmm... hitting back shouldn't normally update a page, otherwise instead of flicking back on websites to what you last saw, you have to load again and get something different; a particular irritation on slow connections / mobiles.

It sounds like we may have had a config problem before which was actively telling browsers not to cache the page, but the behaviour now is the correct one; giving a quick look back if you want it, or a complete fresh page if you want that instead by clicking on a link.

We have changed web server software hence the speed increase of the last few days, and therefore config has been set up again from scratch.

This is more worrying:
    . Which browser please?
  13. HHH

HHH LE

I hope this makes sense,

When clicking "back" and the page updated you could tell at a glance if any thread that you had previously read had a new post added, which meant you could read the full page of threads and read any new posts to threads that interested you without having to go back to the top of the page and click on the "last 50" or "new posts" tabs or use ctrl + F5.

I found this a lot easier to navigate the site in regards to threads of interest.
  14. I have the same prob, the small green tab to the left of the post doesn't dissapear like it used to untill you refresh the page, it's been like that for me for few days now
  15. Firefox is my browser, with the "pinwheels" This is on the Tab at the top of the browser, I have to "X" the Http line to stop this.
    (Although it is not every time, say 50-80% and seems most prevalent in the Forums)