Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by tattybadger, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Do you even know, or care, who the Padre is?

2. The Padre is a bloke who turns up to harrass you occasionally, and scoffs the pies?

3. Padres - great blokes who add considerably to our military capabilities?

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not sure if this one has been done before?

Ques: Does the RAChD add significantly to the moral component of fighting power in this increasingly secular country? Do they add significant value to our ability to kill the enemy and are they worth the money that is invested by the taxpayer in them?

Could the Padres' role be contracted out and the Army develop a spec pool of TA padres to deploy on ops?

My perspective, based on atheism and nearly twenty years in the forces, is that, generally, they do not add significant value to our capabilities.

Their role in peace is easily filled by a range of ciivilian agencies, normally well trained; soldiers have access to this broad spectrum of welfare agencies. Most soldiers that I know do not attend regular, strutured religious worship and, if they wanted to, they have access to local, civilian temples.

Again, contracted agencies could fulfil that welfare obligation to soldiers on ops. The odd padre around for a service is fine, if you want it - but why not a TA padre (or a contract with the church to provide pastoral care on ops?)

And why are we forced to attend church parades? I remember attending three brigade church services before Drumcree a few years ago and being distinctly unimpressed firstly by being told to attend a service that I would regard as being based on unmitigated and unfounded nonsense. Secondly, it struck me how out of touch the padres were with most soldiers - not their fault, they have, by and large, a different perspective, outlook and trg to soldiers.

And why does it seem that the RAChD never seems to be hit by defence cuts?

Has anyone ever seen a Muslim or Sikh or Humanist padre?

Your thoughts perhaps :?:
  2. Can't say much about padres but I do remember the look of panic when you heard the Scripture Reader was in the block 8O

Last time he came round he bumped into a walt I previously menttioned in a different thread, never saw him again :D
  3. Who- the walt or the devil-dodger?
  4. I'd like to see two Padres fighting. The catholic one and the prod. Winner stays on.

Drunken Catholic padre belts the sh*te out of the Billy Bigot one and stands on the ropes shouting 'Come and have a go if ya think yer 'ard enough' at the wee muslim fellah cowering behind his Sikh mate.

More tea Vicar?
  5. I agree with your questions about padres in an increasingly secular armed forces and that soldiers etc shouldnt be forced to attend the religious services. However, i do think that the padres offer something that others may not be able to. When your having problems at home or worried about the next dangerous deployment (thanks tone :twisted: ) who would you go and speak to?

I very musch doubt it if anyone would want to share it with their CO and as for sharing it with an oppo, chances are he will rip the pish good and proper!

The padres (whilst being a bit "different" in most soldiers eyes) is someone that will listen to your concern and wont rip the pish or scold you for being such a twat!

I know this could be contracted out to a civi bible basher, but having one padre as a rep for each regiment sort of acts like a mascot. Cant realy explain it to well just now. :?
  6. Agent Smith - I'll grant you that!!! Had one or two tonight have you? :lol: :lol:
  7. Agreed, Padre's may be odd, but they serve a purpose and I was surprised how much they are supported by the lads.
  8. Which is?
  9. I've had to go to a Padre on a few occasions and they are a tower of fact one told me to refuse to soldier if the CO didn't give in to my request :twisted:

They have a function and a good one, nobody understands them until you have to use them and suddenly the light decends upon you :wink:

I am not a religous man :twisted: , ask ventress or the other AMS posters who know me but Padres are a benefit and should never be lost to units
  10. Bet the CO thought the Padre was handy in that instance then!!!! Are you going to enlighten us with the story or leave us guessing?
  11. lets just say that it was in telic 1 and in my rank, the shiit would have hit the fan :twisted: First time in years I was ready for a serious fight with the Army
  12. Having been blessed with some of the bluntest knives in the drawer under my command over the years, I totally support the padre and the role they play in our modern military. These guys cross all denominations and their role is very much one of helping look after the troops and families. Sure, good and bad, but overall very good.
    They are very deeply involved with those agencies mentioned but can impact upon the chain of command in a way no agency can. Top blokes. If you've not needed them, then well done you. If you have, then you know their worth.
  13. That's a good post.
    I don't think contracted civilians could function as well. Sure they could perform services and "listen" but I doubt they would really relate to soldiers or soldiering in the same way.
    A good Padre shines in the field. Read some of the Regimental histories that make mention of the Padre. The history of the Seaforth Highlanders of Canada (the second book coving post WW1 through WW2) gives their PAdre more mention than many, and illustrates pretty well a Padre's role in wartime.

If you are an athiest, don't bother with the Padre.
  14. OK, as it is now Sunday: :wink:

A good padre can make several very real contributions on operations, not least:

1. In the run up to battle, helping to stress the message about treatment of prisoners. I have never forgotten a sermon based on the way German prisoners were treated decently, given preparation for their future civilian lives - including many who trained as Lutheran priests while in British prison camp. OK, that message only directly benefited those who were actually at the service, but his services were always well attended by all ranks.

2. Post operations, helping our people to get their minds back to normal. A friend of mine asked a British padre he knew to give a service for a group of military observers, after a bad experience. The padre cabbied down 100 miles, got rat-arrsed with the seniors in a lamp swinging session that night, then led an outstanding service the following day marred only by splitting headaches all round.

3. As someone standing slightly alongside the chain of command, being the commander's and the unit's voice of conscience. My only personal experience of this was actually on exercise! :oops: but the young padre had the moral courage to stand up at the back of the room, everyone from CO downwards giving him the WTF stare, and stammered his way through a protest to do with the intended treatment of prisoners. It was actually a total misunderstanding on his part, all very amusing but I like to think a good padre would do the same in 'real life'. Helping to keep us all off a very slippery slope.

Another very good reason IMO for padres to be continually getting around the battle group with their stickies and hammy words of jocularity.
  15. padres are great.

Its nice to be pulled away once in a while from the BS to have a sermon (hopfully with some jokes) and then a good old sing song (which without alcohol, is a novel experience)

good to have sombody neutral to talk to about problems aswell. we all give it the gung ho attitude infront of our mates, so its good that there is sombody you can talk to who wont rip the pish