Padres / Religion

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by polar, Jan 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not seen this one before and not sure where to put it.... so gone for the one I normally look at...

Does the Army recognise religions other than abrahamic god (jew/islam/christian ... ha ha same category), hindu, sikh or buddist?

I've seen agnostic, spiritiualist and aetheist mentioned... anymore..

Rape & pillage anyone?
  2. be quite hard to have a Padre for atheists really - also a very short service! next
  3. Closet!? I'm out and out mate! Not illegal in Army anymore is it? :D
  4. Cue memory of visit to Coy on training by the Padre.....CSM then proceeds to tell the boys that he's not a real Minister, he's a TA Padre -

" Nah, he did a 2 week course - I mean, how could he be a real Reverend, He'd have his own job to do on a Sunday.....No, he's a TA Padre, rest of the week he runs a Builders Merchants"....

....last heard of the Rev in question was still a Padre, had gone "Regular" years past - and had landed the post of Chaplain to Christ Church, Naples. there are some good postings left !
  5. ^I guess that had to happen. TA not really the best option for a reverend, some I've come accross work as a normal vicar during the week but in an Army camp.
  6. i watched a history program on bbc 2 last november about muslim soldiers during WWI and they had the only british Imam currently in the armend forces (i guess he covers all of them) he was'nt in 95's
  7. I'm sure there was an article on the BBC website about it. Can't find it now mind....Wasn't in uniform but had accepted role as Iman to the Army / Armed Forces. From memory he was quite a young looking chap.

On a different note, the Reg I've joined has been trying to get a Padres organised. Willing candidate found, biggest problem has been getting him a medical organised I was told by the ROSO... Mind you, that doesn't set him apart in the modern TA does it?
  8. I recall a particularly contrary soldier who changed his religion to 'Wiccan' because he had discovered that it was not on the army list of major recognised religions and would therefore initiate a firestorm of paperwork for the battery clerk - with whom he was having a spat!
  9. He should have put down heathen. I believe it's ok for them to date outside of their marriage, as long as the other party is of a different religion.... otherwise that'd be adultery and against army code of conduct..
  10. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

My unit has a TA bish. He is a normal vicar in the week with his own church and everything.
  11. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

12. One lad in my last unit put himself down as a pagan on joining. Roman Catholicism apparently covers paganism as well, at least according to his ID discs...