Paddy Mayne -SAS ww2

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Uladh, Jul 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. just watched a tv show with tim collins about the original sas members during world war 2 and learned that while the sas was formed by david sterling, he served most of the war in a pow camp and the sas was run by Paddy Mayne from northern ireland.

done a bit of research on him and it says he was to recieve the VC but it was downgraded to a DSO, the 4th such award he had recieved during the war, theres a few books written about him that im going to pick up and read if anyone can suggest which one is best

2. Rogue Warrior of the SAS. Really good read about the legend of Blair 'Paddy' Maine. A truly outstanding soldier and like most exceptional individuals sadly suffered inner turmoil.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I concur; excellent bio!

4. Dad has a poppy pin with him on it, never heard of him before that but he was proper nuts in a squaddie kind of way. Will have to look out for rogue warrior and give it a read too.

5. Really interesting guy - very, very smart bloke, superb solider but a complete liability in peace time - a born warrior.

6. I particularly like the fact he used to fight with fellow Brigadiers. Mad Mike Calvert in the mess

7. If 4 DSOs do not get you a VC what does? Anybody serve with the Malayan Scouts, early post war SAS. My brother did a stint with them.

8. 'Jock' Lewes was probably the real 'father' of the SAS (as said by David Stirling).

9. Beating up senior officers prob doesn't help. Ha ha. Seriously though he should have got the VC.

Do you think we will ever produce another like him.

10. I'm guessing that there are men serving, or will serve that have it within them to measure up - it's probably more likely the opportunity won't present itself to be recognised as such.

WW2 created a whole new genre of soldier, and theatres, that hadn't really existed in any real form such as the Commandos, and further, the SAS etc... beforehand.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I have David Rooney's book in my hand. "MAD MIKE", A life of Brigadier Michael Calvert, Pen and Sword Military Classics.
    If anyone's read his Bio Prisoners of Hope I'd be glad of their feedback, and I'm still looking for it.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/obituary-brigadier-michael-calvert-1188603.html

WRT to Brigadier Calvert's qualities, perhaps Major General Arthur A. D**ar*. CBE DL, is up there with him. I met him on posting to QRIH in 1977, when he was Adjutant. Real life accounts , there are plenty but a thoroughly decent man and you knew where you stood.

12. Ok, turn the question over on its head. What international rugby player could be the next Paddy Mayne.

Henson ; )

13. No, but I worked with one. He collected Lee rifles and had an example of them all (as far as I can remember) from the Lee-Metford to the Mk 5 SMLE. He kept them in a coffin sized box that he called 'Granny'. His firearms certificate, under 'Reason for Owning Firearms', read 'Suppression of her majesty's enemies' - in other words, killing people.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Excellent.

15. Not a complete liability. When he was eventually killed by a drunk driver he was leader of the Liberal Democrats...so yes, maybe a bit of a liability.