Paddy Ashdown RIP

Just announced. Didn’t like his politics, but he did his service and had a full, active life. A Politician of genuine stature, even if he was the head of a marginal party.
RIP.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Obviously a formidable soldier, utter twat as a politician and unfaithful to his wife.

I look forward to reading the biograph (that didn't quite manage getting on the Christmas 2018 Book list) , to put me straight.

Edit - and infinitely more worthwhile listening to than that Ubercnut Vince Cable.

Last edited:

Yeo_Man

War Hero
A great shame, not a fan of his views either, but his service spoke for itself. However I did believe in his sincerity and integrity.

Qualities in short supply in UK politics.

YM

If he's dead,I'll eat my hat!

I liked him, he probably heard he was next on the reserve list tranche and said F@@k it

Just announced. Didn’t like his politics, but he did his service and had a full, active life. A Politician of genuine stature, even if he was the head of a marginal party.
RIP.
RIP.

Always thought him a top guy. And he served his country well.

RIP.

Always thought him a top guy. And he served his country well.
Politics wise, I personally thought he was a bit of a knob and he seemed to have gone a bit doolally in recent years - he was a BBC rent a quote and always had me spitting feathers! :smile:
That said; if you compare him to some of the so-called front benchers of all Parties today, he was much more charismatic than any of them and there is no denying he put some service in, in his youth. As for the Lib Dem leaders that have followed him, such as Clegg, Farron and Cable, they couldn’t tie his boots.

MrMemory

War Hero
Strange that he dies on the day his old unit, the Special Boat Section undertakes an operation in British waters.

I recall a saying he liked to repeat from his service days -

'Big hands on little maps, that's the way to kill the chaps'

Strange that he dies on the day his old unit, the Special Boat Section undertakes an operation in British waters.

I recall a saying he liked to repeat from his service days -

'Big hands on little maps, that's the way to kill the chaps'
due to cuts he was probably on the OP

Politics wise, I personally thought he was a bit of a knob and he seemed to have gone a bit doolally in recent years - he was a BBC rent a quote and always had me spitting feathers! :smile:
That said; if you compare him to some of the so-called front benchers of all Parties today, he was much more charismatic than any of them and there is no denying he put some service in, in his youth. As for the Lib Dem leaders that have followed him, such as Clegg, Farron and Cable, they couldn’t tie his boots.
He did sort Yugoslavia out, about 10 times

Last of the Summer Wine?

Liberal Democrat leaders are, by and large, utterly pointless and immediately forgettable. Paddy Ashdown, by virtue of his service is an exception but perhaps primarily to those also of a military persuasion.

Jeez that was a short illness, poor chap

Shocked! Chatting with Paddy Ashdown a couple of weeks ago in Bath. Knew he had bladder cancer but didn't expect this. A true gentleman and one of the old school - an MP with integrity. RIP.

Last edited:

Latest Threads