pacing the 2.4km and running shoes

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by parainwaiting, Jun 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. how should i pace the 2.4km? go as fast as i possibly can all the way or slow towards the start then sprint towards the end?

Also i am currently jogging in football trainers i.e astro turfs. Am i better off getting running/jogging shoes such as asics for training.
  2. You'd be best getting some proper running shoes. Find the thread on the PT-03 shoes, it has the address of the APTC PRI shop who sell them for about £40. Mine are great. I'm not an experienced runner or a PT instructor but they do have a good reputation.

In training I'd say keep up a steady pace and on a test day do your steady pace but put some extra effort in the last third. But then again as I've said I'm not a PTI.
  3. I'd suggest that you measure your distance (google earth has clever distance measurer - or use the speedo on a car) so you get it right.

I'd suggest you push on as it only takes ten mins and doesn't really need you to hold anything back - the time you loose in the first nine mins can't be made up in the last 300m no matter how hard you try.

Go to a proper running shop and get a good pair of trainers fitted properly - they are only good for 2-3K miles so if you are training in earnest will wear out quicker than you think.

Good luck.
  4. I am by no means the most expereinced runner on here, but i have recently trained for the 2.4 km and have found several things helpfull.

Start slow, nd gradualy speed up. The people that sprint help you as you have a target to overtake and gives you confidence when you do. Keep aiming for the bloke in front of you, but dont do this till about halfway round. It does work, i started with only 2 people behind me, but ended up ending about 5th out of 70 odd people, not that it matters its a personal best.

Buy some running shoes. I did and the aches and pains i used to get from running virtualy disapeared. Make sure they are worn in before your test.

Try drinking chocolate milkshake after a run, its helps alot in recovery.

pm me if you need any more advice
  5. thanks for the quick replys.

what make of running shoe would you reccommend? i have had a look at nike and while they look ok they always appear a little chunky.

People have told me Asics? any experience of these being any way superior?
  6. make doesn't matter as much as going to a GOOD shop and getting them fitted to suit the way you run. Run and Become in Westminster has you running up and down the road to watch you then suggests which ones to try on. I believe some shops video you running inside - on treadmill I guess - then suggests which pairs would suit you. I have had Saucony and Asics - both were very good.
  7. You can also get a dinky little trip computer thingy for a bike - great for measuring new routes as it can get boring doing the same every time.
  8. my bold.

I was under the impression that running shoes are only good for a maximum of about 600 miles?

I know I super pronate which significantly reduces my trainer life, but 2-3k miles?
  9. I'm as ASICS junkie, and go for the GT or KAYANO series. They can be expensive, but are worth every penny. It's definitely worth visiting a running shop to get your trainers fitted - they are the experts and will pick a model for you depending on your running style.

For PFTs everybody seems to sprint off and then hang on for the end. Build up your speed over the first 800m-1km and get faster and faster. At the end you will always be hanging out - it's best effort after all.

10. have tried asics, brooks, saucony and mizzuno - all good but prefer the latter, would definately back the above comments in getting them fitted I had been wearing the wrong size for years!

as for pft isn't the general idea to run hell for leather until you find orifices you never new you had to breathe from??? or is that just me!
  11. If you have fat feet try new balance who do a 2E fit or a D for normal people.
  12. is having the right shoes etc capable of knocking a bit of time off your run?

obviously the right shoes will give you greater comfort but i am wondering about speed gains.
  13. Having the right shoes give you the comfort to run at whatever pace or speed you want to. It means that you can run longer and faster without damaging yourself, at least thats what I thought.

I have Brooks and find them good, tried Asics but found them a bit odd as the sole kinda disappears under the toe and it just didn't feel completely comfortable but everyone is different and thats one reason for different styles.
  14. thanks for the help

im gonna go and do a spot of shopping after work!