Pacific

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by FiveAlpha, Feb 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The new mini-series from HBO about the war in the pacific. Directed by Tom Hanks. Release date Mar 2010. The new BoB?

Link

2. Been pushing it for some time on Freeview/sky, it showing on Sky next month I think

3. Can't wait for this to start. If it is anywhere near as good as Band of Brothers,
    Then we are in for a treat indeed.

There was something in the old Sky magazine about this. Pretty much all of the same behind
    Camera folk as Band of Brother's. Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg again as well.

Even Ex Vietnam Vet Capt Dale Dye, who took the actors through "boot camp" and had cameo parts in Band of Brother's.

It's based on the memoirs of two Marines who fought in the Pacific as part of 1st Marine Division; Robert Leckie and Eugene Sledge.

If the story is right, there is a Character in it called Gunnery Sergeant John Basilone who during the Battle
    of Guadalcanal was recommended for both the Navy Cross and Medal of Honour!! Kahuna's!!

Should be a good series.

Cheers N_W

4. John Basilone was awarded the CMoH after he and 2 others held off an estimated 3000 Japanese troops at Guadalcanal.

As a MoH holder, he did not have to return to operations: however, he volunteered for further active service. He was killed on the first day of Iwo Jima. Subsequently, he was awarded a posthumous Navy Cross, the only enlisted Marine to be so honoured.

5. Roger that mate,

Cancel Kahuna's and insert monster sized Kahuna's instead.

Nails.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers N_W

6. I'm looking forward to this. I just hope it's available on Sky box office as I don't have Sky movies.

7. Seen it advertised & it looks awesome, any ideas when this is going to start?

8. ..........well, good ol' wiki has it airing on Sky Movies starting on 4 Apr 2010. I caught a mention of it tonight - seems as though it's going out in 10 episodes.

Just hope it's BoB styleee and not too Hollywood.

9. Since it's being shown as a mini series a la Band of Brothers, no - it isn't going to be on Box Office :D

Does look top fucking notch BoB style though, trailer made me proper moist in me panties.

10. Starts in the states March 14th. Since the 3 all served in different units I wonder how they will tie it together, ala BoB.

Robert Leckie
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Leckie_(author)

Eugene Sledge
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/With_the_Old_Breed

"Manila John" Basilone (Manila Nickname comes from former Army service in the pre war Phillipines.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Basilone

11. Judging by the trailers it looks like another winner for the BoB team.

12. Goldbricker,

Thanks for the links. Very interesting indeed.

Particularly this bit:

"their defensive positions came under attack by a Japanese regiment of appoximately 3000 soldiers. The Japanese forces began a frontal attack using machine-guns, grenades and mortars against the American heavy machine-guns. The American forces fought for the next 48 hours until only Basilone and two other men from his squad were still able to continue fighting. Basilone moved an extra gun into position and maintained continual fire against the incoming Japanese forces. He repaired another machine-gun and personally manned it, holding his line until replacements arrived. With the continuous fighting, ammunition was becoming critically low and the supply lines cut off, Sgt. Basilone risked his life by fighting through hostile lines and returning with urgently needed ammunition for his gunners. By the end of the battle, the Japanese regiment was virtually annihilated. For his actions during this battle he received the United States military's highest award for bravery, the Medal of Honor".

Outstanding monster kahuna's.

Anything known about the other 2 blokes
    left fighting beside Manila John at the end of the battle?

Hat well and truly doffed.

Cheers N_W

13. Interesting first episode. Guadalcanal scenery was nicely done, and the Battles are Speilberg SOP

14. I was wondering how the 1st episode was going to introduce the main characters without remaking BoB training camp type scenes. I thought they did a great job of the introductions and 15 mins later they are invading the islands. Awesome night battle scenes btw, they don't get much better than that.

15. My quibble is the Marines using M1903A3's in several scenes along with regular 03's

The A3 wasnt type classified until Mar, 1942, and Production started in December 42, I have yet to see photographic evidence of such use on the Canal.