pace sticks.

Discussion in 'ACF' started by papegojan, May 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On my travels, I have seen a lot of SMI's from all over with these things, and was wondering, what are the criteria for entitlement to use one, what do different colours (light oak, dark oak, black) mean, if anything, and are they made to measure, or does one size fit all? Again, not a wah, I keep my head down, get on with it and only ask if things may concern me.
  2. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

3. Thanks for that, gremlin. Was difficult to glean the info thru the tears of laughter, but got there in the end.
  4. In my county the RSM and 4 CSMs carry pace sticks as of right.
    I carry the rest of the county on my shoulders
  5. Colour/shade..means nothing..personal preference, but if you can 'stick' you will need one to fit..measured from your hip downwards...learn on the issued 'log' and if you want to carry on, buy a mine..its for sale now that im a rodney...make me an offer that wont make me laugh out loud...and its black BTW
  6. Pass the All Arms Drill Course. Its a TA course, but ACF AI's over the age of 25 can attend. SMI's will have to take a rank drop to SI for the duration of the course.

Or just carry it and hope no-one notices, but look like a bag of shite. Ive heard of one tool carrying a pool cue with a silver tip and top before.
  7. isnt this getting a bit walty guys?

8. I fail to see how it could be getting walty. What I asked was the criteria for carrying a pace stick and what courses if any I should do. My aim was to avoid walting at all costs, by asking the advice of those more experienced than myself. Anyway, why bump an old thread that has dealt with the issue satisfactorily?
  9. To be honest my regiment doesn't use pace sticks, so I have no idea. We did used to, as RGJ, use regimental canes sometimes. So perhaps the "rules" are similar.

There were no "regulations" regarding who could and who could not carry canes, just tradition. In RGJ riflemen never carried one. NCO's on COS or BOS duty had to carry them, apart from that nobody carried them routinely. On some formal/ceremonial parades, which were rare apart from passing out parades at the depot, SNCO's might carry them instead of a Rifle but as I say that was rare. WO's never carried them so far as I can recall, but since WO's did Orderly Officer rather than BOS and carried swords on a formal parade I can't imagine when or why they would use them.

Now since becoming an ACF adult I have hear all manner of stuff including canes only being carried by someone who has down the all arms drill course, which I know not to be true. In fact I'd be bloody amazed if any light division soldiers ever bother doing said course, I never knew anyone who did.

papegojan, I'd say do the drill course if you want to learn how to use it properly...although I'd check that it is part of the course sylabus if i were you first. But unless someone can show you it in some regulations forget this notion that you must meet some criteria before you use it and just make sure it's OK with you RSMI.

But don't forget. What I know about pace sticks you could write on the back of a postage stamp.
  10. as an SMI I would go no where near a pace stick, its walting really. I wouldn't have a clue what to do with it. I have far better things to do with my time than wonder around with a stick
  11. ahhh, someone supports my point!! woohooo!!!!
  12. Our RSMI carries and uses a pace stick. He passed the All Arms Drill course when in the regs. No-one else carries one.

We don't spend longing enough trying to look good on the drill square. We just get out in the field and get on with the training that the cadets want.

Wouldn't carry one if I had one, you just look silly when you don't know how to use it or even march with it closed up.
  13. thespicegirl, schoolstaffinstructor, I think you are rather stretching the definition of walting. Using a bit of kit for its intended prupose isn't walting. Learning to use it for its intended purpose isn't walting.

Pretending to be something you are not is walting.

I wouldn't carry one either, but...and again remember I know sfa about pace sticks other than they are used to measure the length of a pace...if someone wants to do a formal parade and get the pace right I understand this is the bit of kit made for the purpose. I'd agree that waltzing around routinely with one tucked under your arm is bone however.
  14. ah you see, wandering round camp with one all the time is walting, if the chopper carrying thinks he's RSM London Dist etc, nine times out of ten they are just in a dream world boosting their ego's shouting at kids who don't give a fu(k
  15. Would that be the same as GSM London District :p

Pedant mode off :)