Pace Sticking

Three weeks, is nothing. how long was it before you supported the king, traitors the lot of you.

i only come on here to laugh at you chippies, and whats more your a Rupert as well. it couldnt be better. anyway no offence intended.

taggytwo said:
Three weeks, is nothing. how long was it before you supported the king, traitors the lot of you.

i only come on here to laugh at you chippies, and whats more your a Rupert as well. it couldnt be better. anyway no offence intended.
Rupert maybe, chippy never! Anyway, whilst we were up north thrashing the scots like any god-fearing body of men, weren't your lot chomping garlic in Flanders? Ah well, could be worse.

certainly were guarding the King, as always. as i was First Battalion we considered our second Battalion chippys, so its not just you.

i once spoke to a coldstreamer, at the depot,(Pirbright) bit before your time i think.. i knew he was a coldstreamer because he had long hair, was in a tracksuit, and had a geordie accent. nice enough fellow even though he was a bit dim.

Long hair, track suit, geordie accent and a bit dim?

That wasn't a Coldstreamer, it was a Coldstream wife.

Exrivofrigido said:
We still do. It's just that the Second Battalion is currently disguised as Number Seven Company and hiding in Woolwich. They still carry the Second Battalion Colours though, and wear the 'II' thingy on their No 2 Dress, so they must be a Battalion. Or so the Company Commander told me, and he wouldn't tell fibs now would he?

Still, smart men doing smart things. Smartly.
I always understood that the second battalions were placed in 'suspended animation'. Which I always took to mean that they were chilled below 4 degrees and sent off into space on a voyage to Mars, not sent on a truck to Woolwich. Ho hum.

Suspended animation... so they lop off the heads and freeze them in liquid nitrogen?

Does this mean that in the future, in times of great need we can ressurect them.....

Or, in the case of the cav....

On a GM horse with a frikkin lazer beam coming out of its head!

Guards Battalions cannot be disbanded, unlike Line Regiments that can be disbanded, re-named, re-hashed etc.

They are placed in Suspended Animation on the proviso that they may need to be reformed if there was an urgent operation requirement for the Army to expand.

nark said:
Guards Battalions cannot be disbanded, unlike Line Regiments that can be disbanded, re-named, re-hashed etc.
that's a quaint thought......... that some barrack room myth perpetuates the belief that the 2nd Bn is still with you. What about the 3rd, 4th & 5th Bn's? You're wrong incidentally, most if not all regiments are placed in suspended animation which is another word for disbandment in practice. In reality, HMG can, and will do, whatever they like and don't much care for what cap badge an individual soldier wears. In the event of general war they mostly won't be flapping about which regiments still have the colours of their old 2nd Bn in the cupboard but where and how they can get any men of age in the depots with most capacity.

The only Regiment that has a recent history of units coming out of suspended animation, to my knowledge, is the Artillery where the odd one seems to ping in and out every 10 years to the bemusement of all involved.

Sorry to rain on your parade but the reality is they'll do what they like. Inumerable undertakings to Regimental Colonels have been broken over the last twenty years - they don't operate by the same code.

the 3rd Bn Grenadiers are in suspended animation, the Inkerman Company (1st Bn) uphold there traditions, and customs. Nijmegan Company hold the traditions of the second battallion, they even carry the Regimental and queens colours of the 2nd Bn. as do the Scots and Coldstream incremental Companies of there respective 2nd Bns. strange fact that, companies with there own colours, thats why they are the 2nd Bn, scaled down to company level and renamed.