Pace stick

Hello, I have sanded down my pace stick to restain it. I understand it is supposed to be rose wood. I bought some from b&q and it is nothing like it should. Does anyone no if you are supposed to use different colours or is there a specific brand etc? Any help and advice much appreciated.

Do you mean you have painted it and the stain has dried, looking nothing like the right colour or it looks wrong in the tin? If the latter it will dry differently.

As I recently found our when I hesitantly covered an oak coffee table I'd stripped in grey sloppy shite and it came up looking rather well.

Paint it black, sell it on e-bay as a Rifles/Royal Irish/SAS pace stick, buy a rosewood one with the procedes.

I like the sound of that.

Every day a school day! (RMAS / Catterick-only, though, methinks. None in Bn. )

I like the sound of that.

Every day a school day! (RMAS / Catterick-only, though, methinks. None in Bn. )
No idea, although I suppose for important events it could be handy to have one around (not for on the move measuring!).

Cadets sometimes use them too, esp if they are Rifles capbadged/affiliated but don't do Rifles Drill (there are such dets/contingents!). In multi-capbadge counties or contingents they usually have a light oak (pretty much the vanilla stick).

RIR use them too. They look quite ally.

SAS I added on for e-bay appeal.

No idea, although I suppose for important events it could be handy to have one around (not for on the move measuring!).

Cadets sometimes use them too, esp if they are Rifles capbadged/affiliated but don't do Rifles Drill (there are such dets/contingents!). In multi-capbadge counties or contingents they usually have a light oak (pretty much the vanilla stick).

RIR use them too. They look quite ally.

SAS I added on for e-bay appeal.

FFS not again...read this and weep re Cadets and Pacesticks

http://www.arrse.co.uk/weapons-equipment-rations/37243-pace-stick.html

knob end Cadet asks about painting a pace stick - various bods ask him why he has a pace stick when he is only a cadet? - Cadet then spouts off a load of self important b*ll*xs about being a senior cadet/2 i/c of Regt, etc, etc....is asked if has done the drill course? - more b*ll*xs from the cadet saying that he can have one as no one has said he can't - continued gobbing off from the cadet unleashes feck knows how many pages of pi55 taking.

A long read but some cracking abuse by ARRSERs and a dwindling defence by the self important biff.

Possibly one of the longest threads , not on par with Princess Productions or the Bomber Command v 'Glorius Bomb' one, but it made me chuckle.

Best read when you have 20 odd mins to waste IMHO.

knob end Cadet asks about painting a pace stick - various bods ask him why he has a pace stick when he is only a cadet? - Cadet then spouts off a load of self important b*ll*xs about being a senior cadet/2 i/c of Regt, etc, etc....is asked if has done the drill course? - more b*ll*xs from the cadet saying that he can have one as no one has said he can't - continued gobbing off from the cadet unleashes feck knows how many pages of pi55 taking.

A long read but some cracking abuse by ARRSERs and a dwindling defence by the self important biff.

Possibly one of the longest threads , not on par with Princess Productions or the Bomber Command v 'Glorius Bomb' one, but it made me chuckle.

Best read when you have 20 odd mins to waste IMHO.
I don't know where the perception comes from that you MUST have done a Drill Cse to carry a pace stick... otherwise I would be cutting about with my stick pointing at Sgt Majors, Provo Sgts and RSMs shouting 'You, I said you thar, don't let me see you with that in your hand again... you freak'.

Paint it black, sell it on e-bay as a Rifles/Royal Irish/SAS pace stick, buy a rosewood one with the procedes.
Pace sticks were in abundance down at Shornecliffe when I was a boy Soldier but when I left there, I never saw one ever again either at the Winchester depot or in the Battalion.

Of course, I haven't a clue about the Royal Irish and I could give an unqualified opinion about them but, who really cares!

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
Pace sticks were in abundance down at Shornecliffe when I was a boy Soldier but when I left there, I never saw one ever again either at the Winchester depot or in the Battalion.
In 2Rifles (1RGJ in old money) we were required to carry one when doing COS. Each Coy seemed to have one for whichever JNCO was dicked that day, to use. Some lads had their own and we were encouraged to buy them, but forced to resort to the PRI-Rifles Direct axis of expense, there weren't that many takers and most of us just passed around the Coy's 'Cane of the RSM'.

In 2Rifles (1RGJ in old money) we were required to carry one when doing COS. Each Coy seemed to have one for whichever JNCO was dicked that day, to use. Some lads had their own and we were encouraged to buy them, but forced to resort to the PRI-Rifles Direct axis of expense, there weren't that many takers and most of us just passed around the Coy's 'Cane of the RSM'.
I was in 1RGJ when the money was even older before it was disbanded or merged with 2RGJ. Never saw them there but of course, if the old 2RGJ used them, they would have brought them with them I suppose.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
I was in 1RGJ when the money was even older before it was disbanded or merged with 2RGJ. Never saw them there but of course, if the old 2RGJ used them, they would have brought them with them I suppose.
Actually you were right. I had a brain fart and was thinking about the swagger stick cane thingies. Come to think of it, I never saw a pace stick at battalion either. I'm sure one existed, but the RSM didn't really seem like a bulled boots & marching up & down sort of bloke, so he probably hid it somewhere.

Riflemans Cane/Swagger Stick. Only time I used it in any RGJ Bn was when dicked for COS, as said by RP578.

The best student on the JNCO's cadre - which may have been me, as it was a particulary shite vintage that year - got one bought for him that had a little silver tag engraved with his name and date Every other Lance Jack in the company used to borrow it whenever they were on duty.

Don't remember it being used at any other time apart from when learning Drill as a Recruit, and only then, so the Platoon Sjt had something to launch at us after we had shown that the difference in DNA between men and vegetables was closer than the scientists admitted.

Seeing as we took quicker, shorter paces, what use would a Pace Stick be to a Rifle Bn?