• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

PAAB Dress

Should turning up for PAAB wearing a black suit with a black shirt guarantee an instant fail? Surely it indicates that your judgement is not to be trusted where anything important is concerned, if you think tipping up looking like a chav in a Registry office will make a good impression. Any thoughts?

Just dont wear a corps tie and you'll not upset the applecart. Know a bloke on his course now who wore a collarless suit jacket and mickey mouse tie and it didnt do him any harm. Its more about how you put yourself across and whether you act like a good bloke with a bit of sense, rather than asthetic details.

julias-limbani said:
Just dont wear a corps tie and you'll not upset the applecart. Know a bloke on his course now who wore a collarless suit jacket and mickey mouse tie and it didnt do him any harm. Its more about how you put yourself across and whether you act like a good bloke with a bit of sense, rather than asthetic details.
He is a technician isnt he.

E

EScotia

After reading the title I thought they'd changed the joining instructions so everyone had to turn up in a dress :oops:

IMHO it is a disgrace that any one would discourage the wearing of the Corps tie. It is all part of Corps pride and Esprit de Corps you wouldn't catch a guards man shying away from his Div tie for example.

Dave

A guy who i beleive is now an ASM was my full screw at my first unit... he turned up on his PAAB with no eyebrows as he got pished in the bar on a friday night, fell asleep (with bottom lip hanging down as per usual) so the lads promptly shaved his brows. He flew to UK on the Sunday to start PAAB Monday!

He passed!

Who cares what your wearing?!!

As we assembled on my PAAB, waiting at the block to do the first task which I think was the essay, you kind of eyed the others up and down to check who you knew etc. I recognised an aquaintence and whilst chatting to him a new lad wandered over. Now, I'll give you that it was 98 but this bloke had on winkle picker shoes, a drainpipe pair of trousers, white shirt with a dark burgundy suit jacket (of what I can only call Spandau Ballet stylee, cut tight at the waist and then massive shoulder pads) and get this, a pencil thin tie.
Obviously we tried to stiffle the guffaws as he was clearly on another planet. I think that might just have been his peak to as he failed miserably.

Oh and trade? He was a gunfitter

A guy on mine in 2004 made me laugh, he was wearing a shit brown slightly flared suit and a kipper tie. Must have been a 10 pfeg bet. I don't know if he passed or not, he was a tech I believe.

Also during the slow time walk through assault course intro, six people fell off the rope swing into the water, every one a tech :D

sparky8 said:
Of course spaz! I'll do phys with you any day & Im an old man
Now I'm not implying all techs are limp wristed biffas sparky, just that these six amused me. One of them was in my syndicate, when we came to do the Gun run she fell in again three times before we tied her to the swing with a toggle rope in order to get her across.

With the new 1 day PAAB the first 3 assessment tasks are done in coveralls. The candidates then go and change for the final planning task. Candidates have already made their initial impression on the Board and what they wear in the afternoon has no real influence on the assessment.

Sartorial elegance is not a necessary prerequisite for becoming an Artificer

You obviously haven't attended the 1 day PAAB Bluebell??!!

You arrive the day before in suits and get breifed for about three hours.

The only guy that failed in my syndicate had on frickin WHITE socks. It shouldn't have anything to do with it but if you show up looking like a Nobhead, guess what?.....

As for Corps ties? When did it become fasionable to hate your own corps??

It's getting embarrassing, we had corps marches played in the mess the other day and 5 lads didn't stand up - come on.

Big_s, I have attended several of the 1 day PAABs; you are correct that the PAAB brief is done the day before the assessment, but the first time the Board members see the candidates is on the morning of the assessment. The group discussion, leaderless command task and command tasks take place in the morning and are done in coveralls. The assessment board for each group is comprised of a Vice President (Lt Col), a Deputy President (Maj) and a Group Leader (Capt). These are the officers that make the assessment on candidates potential.

The guy in your syndicate with white socks may well have looked like a Nobhead, but it would have been his performance on the assessed task that the board members would have looked at.

I went on my PAAB a few years ago with a missing front tooth and stitches and scabs all over my face after getting dropped on my head a few days before , it was all in a good cause as I was celebrating passing my Class 1 with the lads of my course.
It didnt do me any harm and I passed !

It really makes no difference what you wear apart from for the amusement of the permanant staff. The non wearing of a CORPS tie is not against the CORPS, just a very old tradition again just amusement. What matters is how you perform on the day, as previously mentioned the first time, what you are wearing is seen by those that matter is in the afternoon and they are not going to be swayed by bad dress sense. All that aside, 99% of all attending turn up smartly dressed as most would attending an assessment.

Latest Threads