P800 tax notice

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by Barrack Room Lawyer, Nov 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. It seems I am one of the unlucky 1.4million who have recevied a P800 notice from HMRC telling me I have not paid enough tax.

    The years in question are 2008 - 2009 and 2009 - 2010.

    For the year 2008 - 2010 I underpaid by £359 and 2009 - 2010 by £364.

    Not massive amounts compared to some of the demands people have received but given as HMRC have stated anything under £300 will not be persued, I did some digging around to see if there was anything I could claim in allowances to knock £60 per year off my tax bills and I found this:

    Wash your uniform at home ? - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

    You can claim an allowance if your employer provides you with a uniform but no laundry facilities (unfortunately armed forces are not included as they allegedly provide a laundry service)

    Here is the link from HMRC:

    Other expenses: flat rate expenses: table of agreed amounts for 2004/05 onwards

    I dont know if I will have any success but I have written them a letter asking for the allowance and for my P800 to be recalculated.