P8 MMA/MPA thread.

[drift]

As someone is currently pre-occupied, obsessed, with the number of pixles, bytes, I consume posting on the "All internet links video“ thread, I will have to leave this here for the moment . . . and if I remember, copy-it-across for the benefit of a bigger "audience“ who might appreciate it - when possible - in the future . . .

[/drift]

[drift]

As someone is currently pre-occupied, obsessed, with the number of pixles, bytes, I consume posting on the "All internet links video“ thread, I will have to leave this here for the moment . . . and if I remember, copy-it-across for the benefit of a bigger "audience“ who might appreciate it - when possible - in the future . . .

[/drift]
I heard it was approved

I don't know . . . I'm not an ASW expert :( .

I only posted the link for the information of others, and for you to ask the question.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly, to provide a suggestion/answer ;) .

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't know . . . I'm not an ASW expert :( .

I only posted the link for the information of others, and for you to ask the question.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly, to provide a suggestion/answer ;) .
As RCV said, I don’t know! Could it be something to do with what the Merlin and Wildcat (potentially others) use, frequencies and stuff that are different (superior) to the yank stuff for how we play?
P-8 comes as a complete weapon system with all that it needs to do its job.

We did very well to order something and leave it alone. I wouldn't want to see us then go on and orphan the fleet - a justification for buying it over the Japanese P-1 was that we would be able to make the most of the mass of the fleet internationally, to tie ourselves into upgrade paths and so on.

FFS, the maintenance facility for the P-8 on this side of the pond is even being built here.

P-8 comes as a complete weapon system with all that it needs to do its job.

We did very well to order something and leave it alone. I wouldn't want to see us then go on and orphan the fleet - a justification for buying it over the Japanese P-1 was that we would be able to make the most of the mass of the fleet internationally, to tie ourselves into upgrade paths and so on.

FFS, the maintenance facility for the P-8 on this side of the pond is even being built here.
Agree with all that . . . but, whatever we/someone, has in mind, if it enhances the performance and is economic, and technically possible to fit, the "enhancement" could be sold to all the other users/operators ?!

One of the last two has to be John Alexander Cruikshank VC even though he hasn't crossed the bar yet..

I read somewhere (pprune, maybe) that his family were approached with regard to naming the first P-8 after him, or the hangar "The Cruikshank Building", and the family very firmly told the MoD to poke it.

Edit . . .

Seven of the nine aircraft have also now been named.
  1. ZP801 “Pride of Moray”
  2. ZP802 “City of Elgin”
  3. ZP803 “Terence Bulloch DSO*DFC”
  4. ZP804 “Spirit of Reykjavik”
  5. ZP805 “Fulmar”
  6. ZP806 “Guernsey’s Reply”
  7. ZP807 “William Barker VC”
The names of the last two, including this aircraft, have yet to be revealed.
Where does the Z prefix come from?

Where does the Z prefix come from?
2 letters 3 digits has been the RAF registration since ww2 (or possibly during it) ZP is where theyve reached in that sequence - not every number in that sequence was used** registrations being given in batches with gaps betwwen

What comes after ZZ999 is the next question

**Edit - not sure what letter they started with either as Meteor regs begin with W

Last edited: