P8 MMA/MPA thread.

When I was at Swinderby there had a road through it that we had to march across several times per day. It's a housing estate now.
It's a RAF thing I reckon...Cosford split with the rail track, Halton public road through it and same for Leuchars. Henlow as mentioned above.

lert

LE
It's a RAF thing I reckon...Cosford split with the rail track, Halton public road through it and same for Leuchars. Henlow as mentioned above.
I guess given the rapid building of airfields during the war, looking for sites that didn't have a public right of way/road would have been too much of a limitation.

How that applies to JHQ which had a public, albeit access controlled, right of way through the middle of a wood is anyone's guess!

My parents live pretty close to Cranwell. Always struck me as a bit odd with a public road running through the middle of camp. There’s quite a few other RAF camps built like that too. I wonder why the road wasn’t just rebuilt to go around the camps, or plain old closed.

Even in the 1930s, with war looming, and hence the Expansion period airfields (Cranwell pre-existing that, but expanded), one might have expected the security aspect to be thought of. Just seems a bit odd. Up the road you’ve got Waddington and Scampton that aren’t like that at all. Others like that I can think of off the top of my head would be Sealand, Upavon, Benson, Leuchars, Watton and Wyton.

RAF Benson springs to mind

cheers

Published by: Forces NET, on 21st July 2021.

Watch: Incredible Images Of RAF Submarine-Hunter's First Flight With Red Arrows.

The RAF's brand new submarine-hunter aircraft flew with the Red Arrows near RAF Lossiemouth in Scotland.

RAF's new submarine-hunter aircraft first flight with Red Arrows over RAF Lossiemouth 20210721 CREDIT RAF.jpg

The Royal Air Force's brand new submarine-hunter aircraft – the Poseidon MRA1 (P-8A) – has flown in formation with the Red Arrows for the first time.

The Poseidon aircraft, flanked by the distinctive Hawk jets of the RAF Aerobatic Team, carried out the flypast over its new £100m P-8A Strategic Facility home at RAF Lossiemouth in Moray, Scotland.

RAF Lossiemouth is home to the UK's Maritime Patrol Aircraft, where there are currently five Poseidon MRA1s being held and another four due to arrive by the end of the year.

RAF Lossiemouth Station Commander, Group Captain Chris Layden, spoke about how "impressive" the display was.

He said: "RAF Lossiemouth is delighted to welcome back the Red Arrows who haven't had the opportunity to display here since 2019.

"Since then our runway has been resurfaced, we have grown a fourth operational Typhoon squadron, continued to deliver 24/7 quick reaction alert – securing the UK's skies."

The Red Arrows took to the skies of Scotland ahead of the annual RAF Friends and Family Day event, an opportunity to say thank-you to the station staff and families for their support.

It has been run as a drive-in air display for 2021, to ensure it is fully compliant with current Scottish government COVID-19 regulations for large events.

RAF's Poseidon MRA1 first flight with Red Arrows over RAF Lossiemouth 20210721 CREDIT RAF.jpg
The Red Arrows are back in display mode after nearly two years away (Picture: RAF).

Posted on the "flightradar-24-and-marine-spotting-odds-and-sods" thread, and also on this "p8-mma-mpa-thread" thread.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Published by: Forces NET, on 21st July 2021.

Watch: Incredible Images Of RAF Submarine-Hunter's First Flight With Red Arrows.

The RAF's brand new submarine-hunter aircraft flew with the Red Arrows near RAF Lossiemouth in Scotland.

RAF's new submarine-hunter aircraft first flight with Red Arrows over RAF Lossiemouth 20210721 CREDIT RAF.jpg's new submarine-hunter aircraft first flight with Red Arrows over RAF Lossiemouth 20210721 CREDIT RAF.jpg

The Royal Air Force's brand new submarine-hunter aircraft – the Poseidon MRA1 (P-8A) – has flown in formation with the Red Arrows for the first time.

The Poseidon aircraft, flanked by the distinctive Hawk jets of the RAF Aerobatic Team, carried out the flypast over its new £100m P-8A Strategic Facility home at RAF Lossiemouth in Moray, Scotland.

RAF Lossiemouth is home to the UK's Maritime Patrol Aircraft, where there are currently five Poseidon MRA1s being held and another four due to arrive by the end of the year.

RAF Lossiemouth Station Commander, Group Captain Chris Layden, spoke about how "impressive" the display was.

He said: "RAF Lossiemouth is delighted to welcome back the Red Arrows who haven't had the opportunity to display here since 2019.

"Since then our runway has been resurfaced, we have grown a fourth operational Typhoon squadron, continued to deliver 24/7 quick reaction alert – securing the UK's skies."

The Red Arrows took to the skies of Scotland ahead of the annual RAF Friends and Family Day event, an opportunity to say thank-you to the station staff and families for their support.

It has been run as a drive-in air display for 2021, to ensure it is fully compliant with current Scottish government COVID-19 regulations for large events.

RAF's Poseidon MRA1 first flight with Red Arrows over RAF Lossiemouth 20210721 CREDIT RAF.jpg's Poseidon MRA1 first flight with Red Arrows over RAF Lossiemouth 20210721 CREDIT RAF.jpg
The Red Arrows are back in display mode after nearly two years away (Picture: RAF).

Posted on the "flightradar-24-and-marine-spotting-odds-and-sods" thread, and also on this "p8-mma-mpa-thread" thread.
FFS. It'll not be able to hear anything with all that noise going on.

Slime

LE
How about an arsenal P-8? Aptly named RB-8

It could come easily out of the Megafortress from a Dale Brown novel.

cheers
Seems a pointless enterprise to me - build additional P8 airframes - to act as bombers -Despite the large fleet of bombers allready availible.

Ignoring the stick the radar from an F35 in there and it instantly becomes a massive fighter. The rest assumes empty space can be filled with whatever bright idea the author has next - floor loading and payload is something only mere mortals need consider.

Truly dale brown territorry, (the aeronautical version of Sven hassel)

Last edited:

Clunker

Old-Salt
Yes that’s excellent thank you, I was dealing with Selex but couldn’t recall how they ended up there.
I once told some visiting Leonardo managers that the name changing was a dead end because after Marconi and Leonardo the only famous Italian left was Mussolini. Did not go down well.

Seems a pointless enterprise to me - build additional P8 airframes - to act as bombers -Despite the large fleet of bombers allready availible.

Ignoring the stick the radar from an F35 in there and it instantly becomes a massive fighter. The rest assumes empty space can be filled with whatever bright idea the author has next - floor loading and payload is something only mere mortals need consider.

The justification for the idea of an "arsenal plane" is based on cost figures that he's simply pulled out of his arse. The concept doesn't hold water on those grounds alone.

Slime

LE

Going by your first paragraph, and it being pointless………..It’s bound to happen :)

Someone somewhere is loving the idea of building and paying for extra airliner type aircraft, and training and funding extra airliner type aircrew.

And proposing to send them to places where airliner sized and crewed refuelling tankers will already be operating and budgeted for :)

Published by: Xavier Vavasseur, NAVAL NEWS, on 26 Jul 2021.

BAE Systems Receives $117 Million Contract for Next-Gen LRASM Missile Seekers

BAE Systems has received a $117 million contract from Lockheed Martin to produce next-generation missile seekers for the Long Range Anti-Ship Missile (LRASM).

BAE Systems continues advanced seeker production for LRASM

BAE Systems has delivered more than 50 systems to date that have demonstrated excellent technical performance over multiple test events. BAE Systems image . . . .

Published by: Xavier Vavasseur, NAVAL NEWS, on 26 Jul 2021.

BAE Systems Receives $117 Million Contract for Next-Gen LRASM Missile Seekers

BAE Systems has received a $117 million contract from Lockheed Martin to produce next-generation missile seekers for the Long Range Anti-Ship Missile (LRASM).

BAE Systems continues advanced seeker production for LRASM

BAE Systems has delivered more than 50 systems to date that have demonstrated excellent technical performance over multiple test events. BAE Systems image . . . .

What about it's successor the

Over the horizon
Robotically
Guided
Anti
Shipping
Missile

Not only more bang for your buck, but the best bang since the big one....

Latest Threads