P8 MMA/MPA thread.

The first of 18 ATL2R Std 6 has just been delivered to the Aéronavale by the SIAé which is in charge of modernizing 11 of the 18 ATL2.

The remaining 7 will be modernized by Dassault through SABENA technics.

All 18 are to be delivered by 2024.

Who owns Ferranti today?
It tried to grow big enough to compete for big defence contracts as a prime contractor; and bought/merged with a US firm called International Signal and Control. Unfortunately, ISC was run by a wide boy who was hiding a $400 million hole in its books (mostly by claiming it was all black contracts for US DoD), and when the fraud was discovered Ferranti was broke.

The defence firm got bought by GEC-Marconi (who were part of the losing bid for the Typhoon radar) on the grounds it would guarantee/save the Typhoon contract and jobs. So, they put the GEC radar division (responsible for Nimrod AEW and Foxhunter screwups) under our control, and within five or six years we'd absorbed it into Edinburgh and shut down the Borehamwood/Milton Keynes sites.

Anyway, a really bright guy (well, he thought so) called George Simpson took over GEC, and decided that the real future was in telecoms - so he flogged off the defence side of the firm to BAe, creating BAE Systems (and then p!ssed away all the money on really stupid and overpriced corporate purchases, resulting in the complete evaporation of Marconi).

After my time there, BAe Systems then got into bed with the Italians, creating Selex; then sold off its shares in it; and Selex became Leonardo. It's the same people, doing the same job, on the same site in Edinburgh - but over the thirty years of my career the name has changed four or five times...

Last edited:

ThunderBox

On ROPS
On ROPs
It tried to grow big enough to compete for big defence contracts as a prime contractor; and bought/merged with a US firm called International Signal and Control. Unfortunately, ISC was run by a wide boy who was hiding a $400 million hole in its books (mostly by claiming it was all black contracts for US DoD), and when the fraud was discovered Ferranti was broke.

The defence firm got bought by GEC-Marconi (who were part of the losing bid for the Typhoon radar) on the grounds it would guarantee/save the Typhoon contract and jobs. So, they put the GEC radar division (responsible for Nimrod AEW and Foxhunter screwups) under our control, and within five or six years we'd absorbed it into Edinburgh and shut down the Borehamwood/Milton Keynes sites.

Anyway, a really bright guy (well, he thought so) called George Simpson took over GEC, and decided that the real future was in telecoms - so he flogged off the defence side of the firm to BAe, creating BAE Systems (and then p!ssed away all the money on really stupid and overpriced corporate purchases, resulting in the complete evaporation of Marconi).

After my time there, BAe Systems then got into bed with the Italians, creating Selex; then sold off its shares in it; and Selex became Leonardo. It's the same people, doing the same job, on the same site in Edinburgh - but over the thirty years of my career the name has changed four or five times...
Yes that’s excellent thank you, I was dealing with Selex but couldn’t recall how they ended up there.

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
'Skinny latte with Ecuadorian beans, oat milk and 2 responsibly sourced light brown sugars.' It's a whole new skill set.

Chop enough front seat and boom, there's your rearcrew.

Not really, the skillsets are often completely different. Someone who would make a good pilot doesn't necessarily make a good WSO. I sat the OASC testing battery over 20 years ago. I didn't pass for Pilot, just about scraped over the line for Nav/WSO, passed for ATC and scored highest of all for FC/ABM. I wanted to be an Int Officer...

Latest Threads