P8 MMA/MPA thread.

Errr . . . How much "Foreign Aid", are we STILL giving them . . . ?!

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Published by: Shaurya Karanbir Gurung, The ECONOMIC TIMES, India, on 17 February 2020.

Starting April, Indian Navy to induct 4 more P8I reconnaissance aircraft.

According to officials, from April the navy will begin inducting four P8I aircraft worth $1.1 billion, orders for which were placed in 2016. This procurement is under an option clause as part of the earlier procurement of 8 P8Is between 2013 and 2015 worth $2.1 billion.

The Indian Navy’s P8I long-range maritime reconnaissance aircraft had played an important role in gathering intelligence on Pakistani military deployments and keeping India’s western seaboard safe after the Pulwama attack last year. More than a year later, the navy will be inducting more such aircraft, boosting its capability to conduct sustained surveillance and anti-ship and submarine preparedness in the Indian Ocean Region.

According to officials, from April the navy will begin inducting four P8I aircraft worth $1.1 billion, orders for which were placed in 2016. This procurement is under an option clause as part of the earlier procurement of 8 P8Is between 2013 and 2015 worth $2.1 billion.

The navy also plans to procure six more P8Is under a different deal through the foreign military sales route between India and the US. The Rajnath Singh-led Defence Acquisition Council had cleared this procurement in
November last year.

The P8I deals are a sign of India’s increasing weapons procurement from the US, which has touched $17 billion till date. It also comes in the backdrop of US President Donald Trump’s India visit on February 24, which will focus on strengthening defence cooperation between the two nations . . . .

Read more at:
Starting April, Indian Navy to induct 4 more P8I reconnaissance aircrafts

View attachment 450469

It's not aid really, our government call it 'aid', but in actual fact it's a form of bribery, a way of asking them to please nicely buy some things off us.

I'd offer them credit. To be spent in UK.
Tbh, I thought we'd stopped all that.

I believe none, according to your gov't?

Bollocks . . . . lifted directly from your link,

"The Sun reported in its Boxing Day edition that the UK government plans to provide £98 million in aid to India over a two-year period even though it is expected to become the world’s third biggest economy by 2030.

The UK no longer gives any money to the Government of India.

More than half of the projected £98 million will be invested in Indian enterprises, while the rest funds technical expertise. Together these help develop new markets, whilst creating jobs for some of India’s poorest and marginalised people".

That is still "aid" that the UK Government hope to explain away as something else !! :( .

More than half of the projected £98 million will be invested in Indian enterprises, while the rest funds technical expertise. Together these help develop new markets, whilst creating jobs for some of India’s poorest and marginalised people".
Investment doesn't mean aid. It means a way to make profit....ultimately.

And 98 million £ is peanuts in the scheme of things...it doesn't even buy you one P8...just saying.

I note all the claims the wings would drop off P-8’s have proven to be balls.
USN and RAAF both fly them down in the waves with no problems

I note all the claims the wings would drop off P-8’s have proven to be balls.
USN and RAAF both fly them down in the waves with no problems
Not seen any claims that wings will drop off flying at low level - Or is that another strawman argument Particuarly in light of videos around since 2012 of it doing just that.

I have seen concerns regarding structural fatigue caused by such profiles - but that's applicable to all aircraft and some are more susceptible than others

The fact they've developed high drop modifications indicates at the very least a desire to avoid zipping along at wavetop height - perhaps simply to increase airframe life but its probable that a modern (converted)airliner wont have the robustness of a purpose built design - or conversion of an overbuilt 50 design.

That being said things can go very wrong if the aircraft is flown structurally punishing profiles** with shall we say "flawed" inspection periods - so the inspection and servicing regimen will be very different to that of a BA / Delta 737

**High cycles and short hops being the most common one.
Take off at MTWA - dump load in seconds - land empty (typically in around 30 mins) repeat as necessary resulted in the Fire fighting types*** receiving a rather tragic lesson that the standard USAF / LM maint schedule was not suitable and they needed to halve or more certain inspection periods.

***Edit - I was sure the aircraft was ANG operated but that's not be the case - memory playing tricks.

Last edited:
Not seen any claims that wings will drop off flying at low level - Or is that another strawman argument Particuarly in light of videos around since 2012 of it doing just that.

I have seen concerns regarding structural fatigue caused by such profiles - but that's applicable to all aircraft and some are more susceptible than others

The fact they've developed high drop modifications indicates at the very least a desire to avoid zipping along at wavetop height - perhaps simply to increase airframe life but its probable that a modern (converted)airliner wont have the robustness of a purpose built design - or conversion of an overbuilt 50 design.

That being said things can go very wrong if the aircraft is flown structurally punishing profiles** with shall we say "flawed" inspection periods - so the inspection and servicing regimen will be very different to that of a BA / Delta 737

Take off at MTWA - dump load in seconds - land empty (typically in around 30 mins) repeat as necessary resulted in the Fire fighting types*** receiving a rather tragic lesson that the standard USAF / LM maint schedule was not suitable and they needed to halve or more certain inspection periods.

***Edit - I was sure the aircraft was ANG operated but that's not be the case - memory playing tricks.
Thread drift. So how high is the Ryanair type operation maintenance cost?

Mr._Average

Old-Salt
I see the Japanese are adding some capabilities to the P-1. A possible future option for our P8s, perhaps? Be nice to have an air launched ASM with 400km range.

"Japan Developing New Anti-Ship Missile for P-1 Maritime Patrol Aircraft"

Mattb

LE

Flying at high level is always going to be better, if you can get your sensors to work well up there.
Longer range, further from the surface (less chance of being heard or - with the new vogue for submarine SAMs - shot at) and a wider field for your sensors.

I believe our 2nd P8 ZP802 has just arrived at Kinloss.
It's almost as if the RAF are making a statement, landing it at Kinloss Barracks and not RAF Lossie.

The statement being the runway is out of action for resurfacing in Lossie?

Latest Threads