P8 MMA/MPA thread.

After almost 10 years since the demise of the MR2 fleet, the RAF is an MPA operator once again When our initial Poseidon MRA1, ZP801, was handed over in a ceremony at Boeing Seattle. The jet will be flown to Jax and conduct limited acceptance flying before transmitting to Kinloss early next year Where they will commence operational flying.

Meanwhile, France has taken delivery of the first Pair of upgraded Atlantiques 2s. An eventual 18 or their 22 aircraft fleet will be upgraded to this standard while France and Germany develop an entirely new MPA in the 2030 timeframe.

Regards,
MM
@Magic_Mushroom has a hard-on, hope his missus can cope.

How good are the roaring '20's going to be with the Carrier Fleets/F-35/P-8s all coming FOC. By the thirties we will be as slick as a whistle.
Or dead as minced meat given inappropriate funding leading to lack of man-power, platforms and munitions.

How good are the roaring '20's going to be with the Carrier Fleets/F-35/P-8s all coming FOC. By the thirties we will be as slick as a whistle.
I wish I shared your optimism. Given the likely departure of Scotland (and I suspect NI) from the UK in coming years, I fear the 20s will be catastrophic for Defence.

Meanwhile, the RN were very keen in 2015 to distance the carriers from any association with P-8 to avoid suggestions of hidden costs. That's one reason why we only got 9 so demands to deploy P-8 with CSGs beyond NATO waters would require compromises unless we get more airframes (and people).

Regards,
MM

Last edited:
I wish I shared your optimism. Given the likely departure of Scotland (and I suspect NI) from the UK in coming years, I fear the 20s will be catastrophic for Defence.

Meanwhile, the RN were very keen in 2015 to distance the carriers from any association with P-8 to avoid suggestions of hidden costs. That's one reason why we only got 9 so demands to deploy P-8 with CSGs beyond NATO waters would require compromises unless we get more airframes (and people).

Regards,
MM
Dont burst my bubble man, Shitland will lose all Naval Manufacturing, the Trident fleet, Airfields and so on. They wont be able to afford more than a small self defence army only whilst the remaining soldiers join HM Services anyway to get away from the Nedland, the population up there will live in fear (when occasionally sober) of being the gateway to England for rapey imaginary russians.

Worst comes to the worst, UK becomes 'rent a defence' for the crumbling EU state of Jockland, thats if it exists more than a couple of yearsif they decide the EU is better for them.

They will have to bail out of NATO or else rely on conscription of North Face Jacket wearing Neds but will slowly retreat back to clans, swords, arrows and heroin.

UK will invest in Barrow and Humberside at the detriment to Drunkland and the heroin capital of nothingness that is known as Scotland will become even more irrelevant than a couple of big towns near England that need to be bypassed to get to the highlands.

(yes I had a few, goodnight!)

Given the likely departure of Scotland
Well this would be a right mess with little satisfaction for the Jocks I think... In theory they'd be entitled to 1/12th of the defence assets... but this would leave them totally lacking in the ability to support and maintain any of the kit they inherited let alone the people to man it... Plus they'd lose the economic input from all the stuff we'd move to south of the border.

We'd probably be looking at an annual or 1 off subsidy for them to equip their own force, and a retrenchement of the remaining British forces to account for losing a notional 12th of the tax revenue plus the costs of the split. Not going to play will with English voters..

So Scotland and Britain less well defended, Sots and English voters pissed off and glum faces all round...

Still it will make Putin smile...

Yokel

LE
I mentioned the current Russian submarine surge yesterday (I think) on the RN forum.

Whether or not the MPA capability is seen as related to the carriers is neither here nor there, everyone used to think it was safe due to being connected to CASD. That did not convince the politicians in 2010!

Anyway, the first aircraft has been delivered and it will carry Harpoon. I am not sure risking them to deliver Harpoon sounds like a great idea!

So Scotland and Britain less well defended, Sots and English voters pissed off and glum faces all round...
Since when has logic been relevant to Scottish nationalism?

...Whether or not the MPA capability is seen as related to the carriers is neither here nor there...
Well it clearly was in 2015 and it may well be the first time a QEC meets a credible ASW threat.

Regards,
MM

I'd like to think that we have a bunch of NATO HK boats out covering the GIUK gap just sitting quietly and listening.

Yokel

LE
ASW - I agree but the carrier is also part of the ASW answer. I meant that in 2010 MPA had been associated with CASD and everyone thought that made it safe. Associating it with the carriers would not have improved things. Looking back to the time of replacing Nimrod MR2, was there any linkage between Nimrod MRA4 planning and early CVF studies?

Talking of Vlad, is he causing trouble with interference in our politics? How convenient that Wee Eck got a gig with Russia Today

Latest Threads