P8 MMA/MPA thread.

Hanging under a ATL2. Not what you might expect from an MPA.
View attachment 410916
RAF Shackletons were used as conventional bombers during the 1950s-1960s in the Middle East, notably Oman. Later, Nimrod MR2s were cleared for 1000lb bombs during COPORATE although these were never employed operationally.

More recently, USN P-3Cs were employed as strike assets in the Balkans, Afghanistan and Iraq using AGM-65 and AGM-84E SLAM; RNZAF P-3K2s are also capable of dumb bombing with Mk82s.

So the French were fairly late to the game when they started using GBU-12 in 2015.

Regards,
MM

RAF Shackletons were used as conventional bombers during the 1950s-1960s in the Middle East, notably Oman. Later, Nimrod MR2s were cleared for 1000lb bombs during COPORATE although these were never employed operationally.

More recently, USN P-3Cs were employed as strike assets in the Balkans, Afghanistan and Iraq using AGM-65 and AGM-84E SLAM; RNZAF P-3K2s are also capable of dumb bombing with Mk82s.

So the French were fairly late to the game when they started using GBU-12 in 2015.

Regards,
MM
I have said this before on this thread but with endurance, cameras, downlinks and a selection of A-G wpns already cleared in the US, P8 could be a very capable (if unlikely) CAS platform in the right circumstances. What is certain is that it will become a very potent maritime hunter-killer. Let's hope* the RAF get a few more than currently planned.

* Yes, I know that HOPE is not a mission verb.

...I have said this before on this thread but with endurance, cameras, downlinks and a selection of A-G wpns already cleared in the US, P8 could be a very capable (if unlikely) CAS platform in the right circumstances...
The P-8 is only cleared for Mk54 and Harpoon.

Moreover, with only 9 coming, there’s no way we’ll be using P-8 overland when we have Protector. The only reason France is using Atlantiques for bombing is because their Reapers are unarmed and they have availability problems on their FJ fleets.

...Let's hope* the RAF get a few more than currently planned...
Sadly, I cant see this happening.

Regards,
MM

The P-8 is only cleared for Mk54 and Harpoon.

Perhaps "A-S" would have been more accurate. A colleague at my last unit had recently served on the USN test sqn and briefed its current and potential US capabilities.​

Moreover, with only 9 coming, there’s no way we’ll be using P-8 overland when we have Protector. The only reason France is using Atlantiques for bombing is because their Reapers are unarmed and they have availability problems on their FJ fleets.

Hence "unlikely".​

Sadly, I cant see this happening.

But no one can deny that we are not getting enough for the task at hand. If there were a decision to be made between numbers of P8 and numbers of F35B, I know where my vote would go.​
Regards,
MM

:)

...If there were a decision to be made between numbers of P8 and numbers of F35B, I know where my vote would go...
Agreed.

Regards,
MM

Will the UK P8s have a MAD? Like the Indian ones do? I haven't seen almost any other ones with one?

Only Indian P-8s have a MAD stinger.

However, lack of integral MAD does not necessarily mean other operators will lack the sensor...

Buoy oh buoy....
Someone needs to torpedo this part of the conversation.....
So near, so nar.
Okay buoys, I think the joke has now gone LOFAR enough. Previously passive contributors are now dipping into this conversation and making comments which lack depth. Given the DELTA in knowledge that's evident, I can BEAR F this no more and MAY have to hydrophone the moderators.

Some may consider that's not Astute; some may even call me a Jezebel. However, I'm not trying to be a pain in the AAS so stop your derisive snorting, dry your WETEYEs, Search for some water, and quietly refract on your behaviour. Then you may finally SOSUS out that your arguments have been sunk for a good reason.

Regards,
MM

Latest Threads