P8 MMA/MPA thread.

South Korea joins the P-8 club with an order for 4 despite very strong campaigns by both Saab with their Swordfish and Airbus with the CN295MPA. With the RNZAF also looking like they'll order the type, this will hopefully keep the P-8 production line ticking over. Sadly, I doubt whether we'll get any more P-8s (although personally I'd argue that the minimum number for us should be 15) but at least this keeps the option open.

Regards,
MM

Once again, though, the number has been plucked out of the air. Eight was the Nimrod number, so eight is the P-8 number and damn the realities of need.
We're getting 9.

Regards,
MM

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
Once again, though, the number has been plucked out of the air. Eight was the Nimrod number, so eight is the P-8 number and damn the realities of need.
21 was the Nimrod number, back in 1995 or so when the bids were out and the results were in.

18 became the number in 2002 when the problems became too hard to ignore and BAE turned around to MOD on Nimrod and Astute, saying "you remember those project risks you told us not to cost for? Well, here they are..."

The plan to procure sixteen was confirmed in 2004, showing confidence in the analysis and planning done; having identified sixteen as the optimum number from the start we had held firm on that. We were going to buy sixteen Nimrods, we had always been going to buy sixteen Nimrods, and only the treacherous agents of Goldstein would allege otherwise.

And in 2008 the rock-solid plan to acquire nine Nimrod MRA.4 was still looking as robust as when it was first put to contract...

BAE turned around to MOD on Nimrod and Astute, saying "you remember those project risks you told us not to cost for? Well, here they are..."
Love it, I am sure I said it before but we had pretty much open book and sole source on a project with the RAAF who said on a particular project, we want liquidated damages (lets say the total figure of LDs was $20m). We asked if they were sure as it was open book, yes they replied.

OK, our total price including our risk figure (open book) went up by $20m.

BTW we did not claim the risk figure, there was no need, they just keep on giving us variations as they change with technology. In my opinion and experience in aircraft systems, the technology moves so fast a fixed price and LDs is bloody stupid.

USN P-8 on very short finals for Lossie about three weeks ago. A late arrival and it didn't leave that night.

P6202796 crop.jpg