P8 MMA/MPA thread.

Putin is the defence budgets best friend.
I can’t see more money for defence not being found now, And I can’t see the RAF not getting a second tranche.
I hope you’re right, but sadly I disagree.

Even if we can find the money, getting the aeroplanes is the easy part.

Regards,
MM

I thought fixed tubes were an external load. I sit corrected.
They can be. However, as far as I’m aware, all tubes can be loaded internally on the P-8. Happy to be corrected however.

Regards,
MM

The Russians never went away, and now they are back in our face.

The peace was great while it lasted
Whilst at BLMF . . . I, me, myself, coined the phrase . . .

"The absence of War, does not mean the existence of Peace".

(Within days - much to my surprise - it wad quoted back to me and all the HQ Staff, by the Chief "God Botherer", on the Remembrance Parade).

With regard to the last 25+ years, it might be appropriate to amend that to . . .

"The existence (Edit: "perception") of Peace, does not mean the absence of War".

:( .

Last edited:
Whilst at BLMF . . . I, me, myself, coined the phrase . . .

"The absense of War, does not mean the existence of Peace".

(Within days - much to my surprise - quoted back to me and all the HQ Staff, by the Chief "God Botherer", on the Remembrance Parade).

With regard to the last 25+ years, it might be appropriate to amend that to . . .

" The absence of War, does not mean the existence of Peace".

:( .

We live in very dangerous times.
The Bear is resurgent, his technology has come in in leaps and bounds, yet the rest of Europe has cashed in its ‘peace dividebd’ In spades. The once enormous and well equipped German armed forces are a hollowed out shell barely worthy of the term ‘armed forces’.

They can be. However, as far as I’m aware, all tubes can be loaded internally on the P-8. Happy to be corrected however.

Regards,
MM
My misunderstanding of your expression tubes.

Fixed tubes, externally loaded and sonobuoys not adjustable in flight.

1521832750477.png

1521832797947.png

Single cell launcher, loads from the ac internally. Means you can deploy sonobuoys when the ac is pressurised.

I love the way the Americans (and Aussies) call them "Boooweys".

I think P-8 sonobuoys are all loaded internally and deployed from rotary or single cell launchers. Certainly there's no tell-tale "Connect 4" sonobuoy area on the exterior of the airframe that I've ever seen.

Last edited:
...I think P-8 sonobuoys are all loaded internally and deployed from rotary or single cell launchers. Certainly there's no tell-tale "Connect 4" sonobuoy area on the exterior of the airframe that I've ever seen...
I think you’re right. By all accounts, the P-8 rotary launcher is not its strongest feature!

The P-1 still has both varieties however.

Regards,
MM

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
I remember on PWO course up at Lossie doing the MPA visit. The briefer was all good and really engaging with us. Did their line about the sensors are expensive and we can't just go chucking them out as and when. Then the quote

Briefer: And these ones are nearly £xxxxx a bouy - pauses for this cost to sink in.
PWO course member who is now a Cdr and initial AM: **** me that's London prices

It sort of went downhill from there

I remember on PWO course up at Lossie doing the MPA visit...
If it was your PWO course, are you sure it wasn't a Shack?! ;)

Regards,
MM

I remember on PWO course up at Lossie doing the MPA visit...
If it was your PWO course, are you sure it wasn't a Shack?! ;)

Regards,
MM
We arrived for our MPA visit the day after the MRA4s were announced as being for the chop.

Amazingly, there was **** all interest in briefing us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk