P45, how to get one from employer

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by Fang_Farrier, Dec 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Fang_Farrier

    Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

    My 17 year ols daughter worked briefly for Tesco's 12 weeks or so, as long as her contract was for. They didn't renew her contract as that department was overstaffed.
    She has been trying to get her P45 from them for some time. She was promised it on several occasions, has written a letter or two to the management in the store but these have not even been acknowledged.
    Any ideas where to go next?
  2. Inland revenue - I'm sure they usually send them out in 3 sheets format. They'll have to state she's off the payroll, and I'm fairly confident the HRMC raise the P45, but I might be wrong.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Porridge_gun

    Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

    When I left the Army I ended up working in France for a while, when I came back after the world fell apart I ended up with a couple of shit jobs, one of them selling Double glazing for a dog shit company.

    When I didn't get paid I marched into the office and threatened to kick the living **** out of the MD.

    The next day I was paid upto date and got a P45

    Theres one way :)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Fang_Farrier

    Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

    I've offered but daughter has hopes of working there again one day!
  5. P45 is a PAYE form but HMRC don't raise the P45. It's supposed to be completed by the employer that you are leaving

    The whole idea is that Part 1 goes to the HMRC so they know you have left and what your pay & tax was to date along with your last tax code. They then put your records in "Leavers".

    Employee gets Parts 2 & 3. Then when they start a new job they give the new employer Part 2 & 3 so they know your pay & tax to date and hopefully continue to tax you correctly and you don't end up under or overpaid on tax.

    New employer keeps Part 2 and sends Part 3 to HMRC so they know where your new employment is and can transfer your records to the correct new tax office
  6. I'll ask the Mrs. She's HR, never did payroll but she may know what the employers obligations are with P45's.

    Edit: I see Rogers already answered.
  7. Schaden

    Schaden LE Book Reviewer

    She doesn't actually need one - she should have her pay slips to prove employment (if she is asked) and when she gets her next job just explain to the employer that she didn't get her P45 and they will write off to HMRC and for the first month pay tax based on a generic tax rate which would then get adjusted in the 2nd month - there is a name for the form they write off for but I can't remember what the damn thing is called.

    It's not a big deal but she's probably panicking over it.
  8. It doesn't really matter, if she starts a new job the new employer can sort it from their end, it just means she may pay emergency tax while the new employer clarifies her correct tax code.

    Edited as someone beat me to it
  9. I used to work for the Inland Revenue, but then mum and dad got married so I had to leave

    I'm pretty sure the employer can be done for failing to operate PAYE correctly if they fail to issue a P45. They have duty to operate your tax code correctly and demonstrate that they have done so. Issuing a P45 when you leave is part of that.

    Chase them again. If she has started a new job without a P45 the new employer should give her a P46 to complete. This is an application for the HMRC to supply a tax code. editted to add - I was writing this when Schaden posted. The P46 is the form Schaden forgot the name of

    Once new employer gets that then they can tax her correctly up to 5th April when the tax year ends. However it wont take account of her Tesco earnings and any allowances that lay unused between jobs so she would have to wait until 6th April 2012 and then apply to the new employer's tax office for a refund of any tax overpaid

    They will collate details of all employments from 06/04/11 to 05/04/12 and work out if she is due anything back.

    If she does not work again before the end of the year write to the tax office that deals with Tesco and claim any repayment from them

    Even if you don't get a P45 from Tesco then they legally still have to give you a P60 after 5th April 2012 showing all earning with them in the tax year. The P60 will detail the relevant HMRC office top claim from
  10. Payroll and Benefits Admin Department
    Tesco stores Ltd,
    PO BOX 506
    CF14 4TS
  11. That's a good point - One point I was doing some self employed work as well as paid regular, I had my P45, but never gave it in to any compnay, it just meant I was paying basic rate tax for a few months and then it lowered the tax I paid on my self employed work.
    Should Miss Fang start with another company in Jan 2012, she'd then just work paying basic rate tax until April and (maybe as late as August) then get a tax rebate. Mainly because she as she worked she would have her yearly allowance split in to equal months to balance out her pay (Roger should agree HMRC like to make an eefort in getting things right). So for Jan-March, she wouldn't have had her £550per month (roughly) without paying tax. Worth about £275-£325 in the rebate department as long as she earnt over £7,600 per year.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Fang_Farrier

    Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

    Thanks, will pass on all these, it's not so much about another job as she has one but about getting her tax back as she was only 17.
    Apparantly it is HMRC they say she needs to get P45 from Tesco before she can get it back.
  13. Of course - if it were a small employer one might try phoning HMRC and suggesting that they were taking money off employees but keeping them off the books and underpaying their company PAYE contributions. When HMRC start sniffing around their company records you'd probably discover they got keener about keeping stuff up to date.
  14. Mmmhhh Kahr P45.....


    ......TESCOs, do they do pies?????

  15. Age has nowt to do with tax liability. except maybe for pensioners who get a higher tax allowance. It took me ages to persuade my FiL of this when he got to 65. He believed the urban myth that you didn't pay tax when you retired. He was wrong, the only thing that stops at 65 is NI contributions

    Once you earn* more than your allowances you pay tax on the excess whether you are 17 weeks, 17 months, 17 years or 117 years old.

    *earn means any taxable income - Schedule A (income from property), Sch D - self employment, Sch E - Employment (PAYE), capital gains etc....... it all counts

    as ex donkey man says for those on PAYE your allowances are drip fed over the year