P W Botha no more

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by frenchperson, Oct 31, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hmmm.......expect they'll say that about Bliar when he pops his clogs

2. Just Nelson Mandela to go then. Two men who applied what they believed in ruthlessly, with deaths on both sides. No respect for either of them

3. Ahh,

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter is another man's politician. I can't feel too bad about either of them going.

4. Those flowery shirts are a bit ruthless - got to agree. But it says a lot that Mandela and successors allowed Botha to live out the rest of his days peacefully - a bit of a contrast to what he received, being banged away for decades. Botha didn't have the courage to offer anything to truth and reconciliation either, the bitter and twisted racist chappy.

5. Now now. No need to be so b.itchy. :D

Care to share with us why he was "banged away for decades"?

Did you know, that the US State Dept. in 2003 removed him temporarily from their list of global terrorists? The very same list that Usama bin Laden's name sits upon. If he remains living that long, he's due to go back on the list in 2013.

Spent quite a while 'fighting for peace' in Angola and elsewhere... Well, sort of.

As a wee aside, I met them both. Not at the same time. Met PW on the parade ground, me parading, him reviewing. And a few years later found myself flying Nelson around various southern parts. Ho hum.

6. F-ing Bores, the Sh1t the UK took for their Boring policy.
    john
    Now if New Amsterdam had kept it's name and political system the world would be a different place today.

7. Of course, RSA is a much nicer place now the blacks are in charge; world-leaders in car-jacking, murder, AIDS etc.
    Racial steorotypes exist because they have some basis in fact.
    Black Africans can't run a country.
    Italians can't win wars.
    English teams always lose penality shoot-outs in Euro/World Cups.
    Scottish teams never do well enough to have to worry about penalities.

8. Is F.W. DeClerk still alive? he was a racist along with the others wasnt he?

9. RIH.

Theres absolutely no moral comparison between Mandela and the likes of Botha, apartheid was a crime against humanity.

All those on here suffering from Lost Empire Syndrome..get over it.

10. He was a liberal peacekeeper!

11. Apartheid - an early attempt at multiculturalism.

FW de Clerk deserves lots of respect for his pragmatism. He realised that the end of the Cold War meant that the West no longer needed a pro western South Africa keeping the oil route around the Cape open. He guided South Africa to a peaceful transition to majority rule. A lesser man would have tried to fight.

12. RIH

Now back to organizing my sock drawer.

13. "Did you know, that the US State Dept. in 2003 removed him temporarily from their list of global terrorists? The very same list that Usama bin Laden's name sits upon. If he remains living that long, he's due to go back on the list in 2013. "

That's the same list they have Cat Stevens on isn't it? I think they set the bar quite low for admission there. It's basically anyone they don't send christmas cards to. Chances are Martin McGuiness is on it too.