P Coy documentary, channel 4

it's been about for a while, but it is a great watch.

Lasts 50 minutes if i remember right, gives a good insight into P Coy in my opinion - however it was made in 1992.

I watch it every night before I go to bed... can't sleep unless a DS sings a lullaby to me ("Standbyyyyyyyy GOOOO"). It's a pretty accurate doc - I was up there in February, and it all looked grotesquely familiar!

Is there a system to buy/download these documentary clips from Ch4?

I thought it was made before 1992 - I recognise the OC and a few of the PTIs & victims. Looks more like '87-'89 timeframe.

I'll probably get flashback nightmares tonight - being beasted up the spider and around Long Valley. Do you think you can claim for P-Coy induced PTSD......?

Have it on video.... One of the blokes on the course was my DS on pre-para years later! Top bloke!

Always remember the nob on the trinasium... lost me bottle staff... nobber!

T

taric

My old dear showed me this video when iwas younger as a deterrant my crap hat brother tried to convince my old dear the regt wasn't the place for me but this video only spurred me on and i now mock my brother whenever i get the chance!!! "You'll never make it" 24 weeks later.................... "oh oh well done bruv" my response "nah i won't shake you hand haroldo"

Just spent 50 mins watching this great doc (Roman Numerals at the end confirm 1992 by the way). I have no contact with para-trained guys normally, but just wonder how much of it has changed, ie: up on the heights without helmets, milling. Do the health and safety Nazis let it go on these days?

T

taric

you have to wear helmets on the trainasium (heights) and the milling is still done it's not allowed to be filmed though for the recruits/all arms video they give you at the end!!!!

My uncle is one of the guys on the documentary, he may have a copy. I'll check with him when he gets back from the sandy place and can email copies if I can get it onto my computer.

Well that's pretty impressive, thanks for the link. US Army airborne school is more of an assembly line with a concentration on parachute techniques and except for the morning runs less focus on culling the herd. With four training companies cranking out jumpers for airborne units including a Division, a Regiment; Signal, Artillery, Medical, Logistic and Engineer brigades and assorted other units it needs to be.

Thanks for the link. A most interesting and entertaining documentary.

Oh to be that young and fit again!

It was also interesting to compare and contrast that film with the documentary 'Soldat' further down the playlist illustrating very graphically the squalor and violence suffered by young Russian conscripts resulting in the deaths of hundreds of them every year.

If that film is a representation of the Russian Army as a whole, it appears to be very much on the verge of disintegration.

Moral, leadership and training are very much out of the window!

Iolis said:
Thanks for the link. A most interesting and entertaining documentary.

Oh to be that young and fit again!

It was also interesting to compare and contrast that film with the documentary 'Soldat' further down the playlist illustrating very graphically the squalor and violence suffered by young Russian conscripts resulting in the deaths of hundreds of them every year.

If that film is a representation of the Russian Army as a whole, it appears to be very much on the verge of disintegration.

Moral, leadership and training are very much out of the window!
I watched 'Soldat'. Good lord what a depressing look at the Russian army. A real lack of an effective NCO Corps shines through I thought. The link in the chain of command seemed broken at the point of the Major and the conscript sergeant. The soldier laughing in formation was quite an eye opener as was the soldier mocking the Major behind his back in front of the camera.

Excellent and highly recommended.

Wasnt there also a Para Regt recruit doc made by BBC? Think it was made around the same time or a bit later, anyone got a link to that?

Edited to say: The Ch4 one is available on video, Ive got it, but havnt got a VCR so this was quite nice to watch again, feel like going and running up some hills now!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mr Happy Officers 1
Davros_the_Dalek The Training Wing 12
F The Intelligence Cell 22