P Coy- Aldershot V Catterick

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by armies, May 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Heres a question, sure someone has seen both areas . I did all arms p coy in 2004, was Guards but didnt do Brize because I signed off shortly afterwards.

My question is, what was harder, P Coy at the Shot, or Catterick?

I know the Shot had Hungry Hill and long valley which were hard parts of the tab, but Catterick had some steep hills aswell- lick out hill I seem to recall, land of nod, I seem to recall?

Just interesting, as they stopped doing it at the shot in 1993. ive heard different people give a different answer.

Anyone perhaps done P coy at both locations?, maybe as an instructor or as someone who failed first time at the Shot?

2. it doesn't really matter. 10 miles in 1hr50min is 10 miles in 1hr50min wherever you are. the terrain in both areas are the same. you are probably trying to stir something up by raising the topic so i will let you crack on.

3. why do P-Coy and sign off without doing the jumps? youre not Pte Golden are you?

4. I did p coy because at the time I wanted to go Guards platoon 3 para. However, in between, I got majorly mucked around with by my unit, got disheartened and signed off..thus not going to Brize to do my jumps.

However, I also wanted to see if I could pass..which I did...i also have the chance to serve in a airborne unit should I ever want to, and although I want to rejoin, it wont be 16AA.

Im not walting about anything, I never had an intention to join Para regt and follow my fathers footsteps. Ive also knew a lad who passed P coy, then left the army ( he was a trainee para), beacuse the then OC made all recruits attempt P coy before leaving- this was before the full course was all done at catterick.

The other argument people say is that the all arms should find it easier than the recruit platoons beacuse they are mostly NCO's who have done a few years , or officers.
    Unlike the 17 year old para regt recruits who were civies a few months before, but thats peoples personal views.

Something worth watching is the Cutting edge all arms p coy doco they done in the early 90s, done at the Shot.

And no, Im not stiring anything up mate, just a topic like the other few thousand topics on ARRSE.

5. Bone post like your bloody SLR. Piss off twat.

6. Dont read or reply then looney, to my bone posts. Yeah, I bet you will post on here again, to say something unhelpful no doubt.

7. (The other argument people say is that the all arms should find it easier than the recruit platoons beacuse they are mostly NCO's who have done a few years , or officers.
    Unlike the 17 year old para regt recruits who were civies a few months before, but thats peoples personal views.)

P coy is just there to sort out the weeds physically. The 28 week intensive Para trg programme is what makes a paratrooper and is what seperates a paratrooper from a parachutist. Jumping out of a plane is just a means of getting to the battle, it's what you do when you hit the dz that makes a man.

8. When it moved to Catterick, the rumour round 5AB was it was not as hard as the Shot, so the current Brig rounded up 100 pressed men who had already passed and sent them to Catterick to see. One of my mates was unlucky to do it, the answer was both are bloody hard.

9. Wasnt intended to stir anything up, it wasnt the regiments decision to move out of Depot Para, it was done under conservatives options for change.

Im no longer serving and I know it was bloody hard going when i did it, although most people did pass. The only thing that was strickly pass/ fail was the tranasium, and also the fact that you had to stay with the 'pack' on the 10 miler, or finish with them if you fell back.

Eliment of fitness was needed, otherwise it was just about keeping going, when others might 'jack'.

Was just interested what people thought, about the two locations.

10. I have done and taken 10 milers both in Aldershot and Catterick and to say which is harder is like saying my dad is bigger than yours etc, there are points for and against each location but as like Ash has already said a 10 miler in 1:50 is a 10 miler in 1:50 regardless of where you do it.

11. I agree.Ive done both-Aldershot as a joe,Catterick as an instructor.
    10 miles is 10 miles.

12. Good point Sandy, we could then argue that its harder in summe than in winterr because its hotter in summer!!

You a PTI Sandy?

The P Coy staff must be fit as fook, banging out P Coy for 2 years running!

13. Yeah but then theres 2 feet of snow in the winter to plough through

14. No mate, i just dont like your posts, doing 'P' Coy then jacking.
    You talk Bollox mate.

15. Guy in my unit who did who did AAPPS as a reg, came out for personal reasons and is now (a few years later) in the TA booked on his basic parachute course.

You talk 'bollox'.