P-8 Poseidon aircraft to support Border Force operations in the Channel

A Royal Air Force P-8 Poseidon patrol aircraft has flown from its base at Kinloss Barracks this morning to support Border Force Operations in the Channel.

Continue reading...

I take when it says that appropriate action will be taken that is newspeak for we will send the Border Force cutter to get them.

Yokel

LE
If the Poseidon is doing this, what is it not doing? Whilst Search and Rescue is part of the job of a Maritime Patrol Aircraft, which could include looking for small craft and directing vessels to then, I cannot wonder if political pressure is behind this, at the expense of normal defence activities?

Likewise calls to deploy RN ships there.

Think of all that money that was saved by May and Osborne by cutting Border Force, and cancelling the civilian contract for maritine air patrols..........Oh.

Well Sir Humphrey is very active on Twitter about all things military, perhaps he enjoys the echo chamber on there, his post about the P8 was sarcastic and immature.

P8 is a new asset, it needs using and one of its requirements is SAR, so spotting small boats in a dense environment then plotting there original departure and forward course is a training tool.

All these defence experts who sit behind a desk, echo Their opinions and laugh in smug.

It’s high time he had the values to come out behind the parapets like Nick Drummond, who Loves all armoured vehicles.

Did Sir Humph leave arrse because he wasn’t loved enough?

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
If the Poseidon is doing this, what is it not doing? Whilst Search and Rescue is part of the job of a Maritime Patrol Aircraft, which could include looking for small craft and directing vessels to then, I cannot wonder if political pressure is behind this, at the expense of normal defence activities?

Likewise calls to deploy RN ships there.
The technical term you are looking for is "gesture politics".

Wordsmith

Yokel

LE
Well Sir Humphrey is very active on Twitter about all things military, perhaps he enjoys the echo chamber on there, his post about the P8 was sarcastic and immature.

P8 is a new asset, it needs using and one of its requirements is SAR, so spotting small boats in a dense environment then plotting there original departure and forward course is a training tool.

All these defence experts who sit behind a desk, echo Their opinions and laugh in smug.

It’s high time he had the values to come out behind the parapets like Nick Drummond, who Loves all armoured vehicles.

He was loved and loathed on here, the same as the rest of us. He probably left for similar reasons as @Magic_Mushroom. I cannot say he and I often saw eye to eye, but he did acknowledge my loyalty and consistency regarding the issues of carriers and their aircraft.

Twitter is only an echo chamber if those who disagree with a post do nothing. Assuming that they are on it, of course.

Didn't know as @Magic_Mushroom left. Real shame, he was very informative and liked

Didn't know as @Magic_Mushroom left. Real shame, he was very informative and liked

From Feburary - " I've decided to withdraw from ARRSE for the foreseeable future due a number of reasons. These include, the day-job's workload, the difficulty of commenting authoritatively on topics while respecting security and commercial factors, a forthcoming op deployment, and the fact that I'm now involved in additional part-time study. "

He may come back, but he's rather busy, and likely to get busier still in the next few months.

Sir Humphrey (Jim30) was back a few days ago, but largely by accident. I had the impression that he got a bit bored of having the same sort of debate/argument, and have a feeling that he might have departed from making regular contributions at about the same time as he changed jobs.

From Feburary - " I've decided to withdraw from ARRSE for the foreseeable future due a number of reasons. These include, the day-job's workload, the difficulty of commenting authoritatively on topics while respecting security and commercial factors, a forthcoming op deployment, and the fact that I'm now involved in additional part-time study. "

He may come back, but he's rather busy, and likely to get busier still in the next few months.

Sir Humphrey (Jim30) was back a few days ago, but largely by accident. I had the impression that he got a bit bored of having the same sort of debate/argument, and have a feeling that he might have departed from making regular contributions at about the same time as he changed jobs.
Both were extremely informative and contributed greatly to the site, I do hope they hasten back even if just for short 'look-ins'.

What??? That’s crap if they have gone, they don’t have to answer the mong questions, but what about the majority who listen to their knowledge?
Arrse is worse off for their absence, I am sure we could moderate real SMEs so they remain active rather than just moderating forums?

Not read his article but....the threat is this:
1597333886695.png

Not some miserable people being used as a distraction, it's a stunt and waste of resources. Will they have JRRF manning sangers on the white cliffs next?

Yokel

LE
I got poo pooed on the thread about the migrants for suggesting that some parts of the right wing media, with links to the Putin regime (and thinking about it am I right in thinking Rupert Murdoch has ties to Beijing?) are demanding action that could divert resources from real operations, and distort perceptions ahead of a policy review?

I got poo pooed on the thread about the migrants for suggesting that some parts of the right wing media, with links to the Putin regime (and thinking about it am I right in thinking Rupert Murdoch has ties to Beijing?) are demanding action that could divert resources from real operations, and distort perceptions ahead of a policy review?
you honestly think the lunatic fringe of the media can get military assets despatched to do its bidding?

Yokel

LE
you honestly think the lunatic fringe of the media can get military assets despatched to do its bidding?
No. However, they can stir up panic Joe Public and Johnny Backbencher MP, who demand that some must be done. You only have to look on ARRSE to find people stating they think illegal immigrants by boat are more of a threat than Putin, Xi, or Iran.

Perception is everything. Remember recent defence reviews which were influenced by appeasing backbenchers and the likes of Max Hastings?

No. However, they can stir up panic Joe Public and Johnny Backbencher MP, who demand that some must be done. You only have to look on ARRSE to find people stating they think illegal immigrants by boat are more of a threat than Putin, Xi, or Iran.

Perception is everything. Remember recent defence reviews which were influenced by appeasing backbenchers and the likes of Max Hastings?

The P-8's haven't even done weapons trials, (They will be using US supplied weapons), so looking at things sternly from on high is right up on there on their 'things we can actually do' list which includes general surveillance of our EEZ.

What??? That’s crap if they have gone, they don’t have to answer the mong questions, but what about the majority who listen to their knowledge?
Arrse is worse off for their absence, I am sure we could moderate real SMEs so they remain active rather than just moderating forums?
My mate @crash left last year because of a combination of serious illness, online abuse and being associated with a website that had a lot of dodgy characters with XRW views (and thus concerns about his clearances); he also just ran out of energy trying to refute their increasingly zany $hit. Interestingly, he knew magic mushroom and Sir Humphrey...

It is a real shame, and to the site's detriment, that we are losing informative, knowledgeable good eggs like MM and Jim30 (and many before them). I always recall MM's posts being well written, non-confrontational, occasionally rather humorous and with the ultimate aim of broadening and expanding site members' knowledge on all things light blue / aviation.
Jim30 was likewise, many interesting views from his PoV as an RNR Lt Cdr and CS.

If we, as the ship of fools that is ARRSE, are losing good people like that, then we're on a bit of a slippery slope methinks.

Actually, hold on; we've got fantasy fleets of free MV22 Ospreys and F35s that can sanitise 200,000 square miles with one flick of the radar.............