P-47 Vs Spitfire the proper American vs British thread.

So let’s stir up some debate about which aircraft was better.

Naturally the Thunderbolt or the Jug was the better aircraft. It was a 7 ton behemoth that could do it at all. The Germans feared it, for good reason. Not only did it dominate the Luftwaffe, but exterminated the Wehrmacht and SS like the roaches they were.

The Spitfire while elegant, was a light weight kite that was delicate. It could turn but that is about it. It was not as heavily armed or versatile and was showing its age by end the war.

Anybody care to correct the American?

0412937C-3660-43E3-83F3-6A9458C40F75.jpeg

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
So let’s stir up some debate about which aircraft was better.

Naturally the Thunderbolt or the Jug was the better aircraft. It was a 7 ton behemoth that could do it at all. The Germans feared it, for good reason. Not only did it dominate the Luftwaffe, but exterminated the Wehrmacht and SS like the roaches they were.

The Spitfire while elegant, was a light weight kite that was delicate. It could turn but that is about it. It was not as heavily armed or versatile and was showing its age by end the war.

Anybody care to correct the American?

View attachment 370093
Apples and pears mate, if you want a proper American v Brit showdown with the P-47, a better comparison would be the Tiffie or Tempest

Oh look, another "Yee-haw 'Murica is #1" thread.

Still cudos for travelling all the way to Europe (eventually) to get shot at a lot and saving the day with all the tanks and shit then doing tropical D days and nuking the nips. You still lack history and elan. And only scraped a win at home against us with the French and Spanish as allies. THE FRENCH ffs
The shame.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The Tempest was was a Typhoon improvement correct?
Yes, but the overall changes mounted up so much it was considered a different aircraft.

Tank good sir. It was a big, loud, heavily armed obnoxious looking brute. The best representation of American power and not a delicate thing like the P-51.
Well, I have worked on all three you have mentioned, so I think I can speak with a bit of legitimate authority. The best representative of American engineering was in fact the FG-1D......

Years ago I used to do online flight sim gaming, back when the net was young. One of the guys I used to fly with was a certified WW2 vet who used to fly P47s. He was a colonel in the USAAF and we used to fly and chat online.

I shot him down in a Hawker Hurricane.

Well, I have worked on all three you have mentioned, so I think I can speak with a bit of legitimate authority. The best representative of American engineering was in fact the FG-1D......
Good to know, but after some Google Fu, I will say Blasphemy. The USMC only had to deal with Japanese rice burners!

Years ago I used to do online flight sim gaming, back when the net was young. One of the guys I used to fly with was a certified WW2 vet who used to fly P47s. He was a colonel in the USAAF and we used to fly and chat online.

I shot him down in a Hawker Hurricane.
He was old and half blind so it only half counts. I am shocked he was using a computer.