oz sas?

Can anyone please tell me about the oz sas.

Working in vietnam now and the best fry up in town is a bar run by an oz sas vet.

He often has reunions the older guys are ok but the younger guys are ......Not what i would expect from sf.

Oz SAS(and New Zealand SAS for that matter) are modelled on the Brit SAS, The cap badge is the same as is the beige beret. From what i've heard from some aussie officers i know, the structure is the same as our own. they do alot of exchange programmes with each other. i guess they're on par with each other in terms of capabilities etc .

expat_71 said:
Can anyone please tell me about the oz sas.

On the subjest and slightly off thread. Get a copy of "The Odd Angry Shot" a film about the Aussie SAS in Vietnam, Well worth watching and quite funny to boot. The bit concerning the Padre and his "Whanking Machine" is a classic.

and chucking people out of helicopters

I did read somewhere that Oz & Kiwi SAS have to do selection if they do an exchange. Do the Brits have to do the same if they head south?

TheSpecialOne said:
I did read somewhere that Oz & Kiwi SAS have to do selection if they do an exchange. Do the Brits have to do the same if they head south?
Apparently not if it is merely an exchange posting. I only know this stuff as I currently work with a few of "Them". I don't go out buying the books etc....

GwaarSoldier said:
Oz SAS(and New Zealand SAS for that matter) are modelled on the Brit SAS, The cap badge is the same as is the beige beret. From what i've heard from some aussie officers i know, the structure is the same as our own. they do alot of exchange programmes with each other. i guess they're on par with each other in terms of capabilities etc .
OK, I may be wrong here but I think the Aussise SAS still wear the metal verson of the capbadge, also I have this weird feeling that the NZ boys wear maroon berets, please I would be gratefull to be corrected

expat_71 said:
......Not what i would expect from sf.
Why?. Just curious. :?

I am sure it is just a few bad apples.
An example would be dragging local a girl across the pool table by her hair for moving the balls with her hand.
Or spitting in the face of a girl for asking for a drink when he has had his hand on her arrse for most of the night.

wellyhead said:
GwaarSoldier said:
OK, I may be wrong here but I think the Aussise SAS still wear the metal verson of the capbadge, also I have this weird feeling that the NZ boys wear maroon berets, please I would be gratefull to be corrected
it used to be maroon, but they swapped to wearing beige ones late '80s

exXIX said:
I recently worked with a fellow who spent his career in the NZ SAS ending up as WO1. This guy is a Maori and pushing 60. He still does Iron Man, in fact he runs 20km to get to the start line to warm up. Absolute nails. Did scouting tours based at Nui Dat where the weapons of choice were Bren Guns and War Club!

Mr Hoki***a? by any chance?

Some of my closest friends are ex ANZAC SAS (Kiwi and OZ). They are now in their 40s but still very fit and able to outperform the SF half their age in a couple of Asian countries. From various discussions and comments over the years I think their view would be that the Brit SAS are the best in the world at counter terrorism, but the ANZACs would not accept that anyone can beat them in training indigenous forces and leading local guerrila units. Obviously depends on the individual but in general they think the younger crowd have lost something ................. although not to the same degree as the septics.

After seeing the respect shown on this thread i decided to ask a few quetions myself at the bar.

It appears that these guys are not what they have been claiming to be.

They are or used to be involved in clearing ports of mines before military ships enter.

Edited for being a mong.

i used to work and live in a few south east asian countrys, its funny how many aussie and kiwi ex-pats living there you bump into who claim 'i'm ex- NZ/AUS SAS',
walts who grew up watching far too many vietnam war movies.

expat_71 not questioning your character judgement, but its definately worth taking these blokes with a grain of salt. The veterans rumour mill in Australia suggests that there are a couple of walts in VN running bars, tours etc. claiming to be ex-Inf, SASR etc.

Might be worth a quick scroll through http://www.anzmi.net/cases.html to see if any names come up.

They are or used to be involved in clearing ports of mines before military ships enter.
If thats the case then they're navy clearance divers, not SASR. Though they could well be bullshitting about that too :roll:

Good luck with it.

Edit: Dr Stealth beat me to it

fathead said:
....definately worth taking these blokes with a grain of salt. The veterans rumour mill in Australia suggests that there are a couple of walts in VN running bars, tours etc. claiming to be ex-Inf, SASR etc.
Good advice, but there is more than a couple!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Waltenkommando 140
LongStride The NAAFI Bar 93
Captain_Crusty The Book Club 0