Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Oz/NZ related Covid histrionics thread

I bagged out on sweetlip over the weekend.
Send key settings, over.

stand by, (check thread), stand by.

don't fheckin bother.

Small island on wrong side of planet, WGAS?
just don't infect the interesting wildlife (kangapigs, koapossums, funnel web bankmanagers, etc)

VB is truly horse piss, not as bad as that Furphy that CUB are pushing out now. I stick to Coopers Pale in in the warmer months & Coopers Stout in the colder weather

Maybe, just maybe, a bit of better news.

'An analysis by the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee (AHPPC) found the trajectory of the first 1000 cases in Australia was “somewhat different” to Italy, the US and UK where deaths have been higher.

'Australia passed 1000 cases last Saturday, March 21. Up to that point, only seven people had died and less than 20 had needed intensive care treatment. That compared to more than 20 deaths in Britain, around 30 in Italy and 35 in the US at 1000 infections.

'That doesn’t mean COVID-19 is under control in Australia. The number of cases is still growing exponentially and doubling every few days. On Tuesday, Australia had recorded more than 2000 cases with almost 3000 by Friday morning. Yet the death toll is still relatively low at 13. However, despite the lower level of casualties the organisation said that an influx of infected cruise passengers as well as a number of “super spreader events” meant more needed to be done to keep a hold of coronavirus.

'Part of the Department of Health, the AHPPC is the key body that advises on measures to take during health emergencies. In a briefing from earlier this week, it said the difference in the death rate, as well as a number of other factors, could suggest there are fewer cases spreading unchecked under the radar in Australia than might have been expected. “Without diminishing the significance of the rise in case numbers, it is worth noting that the situation with our first 1000 is somewhat different to that of other countries. More than half our cases are still imported from overseas or their direct contacts”.

'Australia’s testing rate, at 480 per 100,000 people, could be another of the reasons. It’s less than South Korea but five times higher than the UK and a country mile ahead of the US.'

Last edited:
And to all our moozy friends up north. You just keep believing that Allan will save you whilst cuddled up on your prayer mat with your neighbours.

They have friends, you know.

'Rodney Howard-Browne of The River at Tampa Bay Church in Florida mocked people concerned about the disease as “pansies” and insisted he would only shutter the doors to his packed church “when the rapture is taking place.” In a sermon that was live-streamed on Facebook, Tony Spell, a pastor in Louisiana, said, “We’re also going to pass out anointed handkerchiefs to people who may have a fear, who may have a sickness and we believe that when those anointed handkerchiefs go, that healing virtue is going to go on them as well.”

How sad, too bad. Maybe you should have stopped supporting the ABs and become an Oz citizen if you want the benefits provided by the Oz government?

'New Zealanders in Australia have been shut out of the COVID-19 welfare package, despite many of them working and paying taxes here for years.

'Alax Robinson, a Kiwi based in Brisbane, is worried he’s going to end up homeless without help from the Australian Government after losing his casual job last week. “I have no money. I don’t know how I’m going to survive,” he told news.com.au. “So many Kiwis are going to end up on the street because they’ve got nowhere to go. We’re absolutely desperate.” Mr Robinson, 35, has worked in Australia since September 2017, contributing to the economy and paying his taxes. But now he feels permanent New Zealand residents have been abandoned by the Australian Government, and he’s started a petition last weekend that has received massive support.'

Last edited:
Finally someone is calling out the idiots who decided to travel overseas and on cruise ships while this virus was rampaging across the world, and are now complaining that the Australian government isn't doing enough to get them a chartered flight instantly out of whatever country they are in

And the latest figures from this morning (29 March); there have been 3,809 laboratory confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Australia, including 14 deaths with 431 new cases reported in the last 24 hours.

Globally there is a total of 588,651 including 28,521 deaths.

As of 27 March they have extended the current ban on international cruise ship entry into Australia until 15 June 2020.

Finally someone is calling out the idiots who decided to travel overseas and on cruise ships while this virus was rampaging across the world, and are now complaining that the Australian government isn't doing enough to get them a chartered flight instantly out of whatever country they are in

Wow, that article makes too much common sense. There are still reports in the UK media about people stuck in foreign climes demanding tearfully that the UK government should fly them home.

Seriously? I thought travel broadened the mind, these people seem to be complete window lickers. Were they totally unaware of what has been brewing for the past three months or so? Did none of their friends say to them at any point either "maybe you shouldn't be travelling half way around the world at the moment" or "hey, you might want to make plans to come home soon, things are getting rough"? Now they sit there in Lima or in a big steel floating petri dish off Mauritius and suddenly it's government's fault.

On a similar point I have noticed articles about British and Irish doctors wanting to leave Australia to "help out" back in the home country but finding it hard to do so. Has the Oz media picked up those stories?

Are they doctors on holiday in Australia and now they want to go home or are they residents of Australia? I can't help but think it monumental ingratitude if it's the latter and they don't want to stay in Australia and help out their new-found friends where they live.

No idea if the media has picked up on those stories as I am deliberately avoiding the whinging whiny selfish c*nts. I'll just grab the headlines as the line between facts and idiocy is a little blurred at the moment.

The international airlines have dramatically wound down their operations with only three scheduled Air New Zealand flights next week between Brisbane and NZ. Sydney and Melbourne appear to be the main international hubs just now. All travel back to Europe will be via Singapore or Asian hubs and there is not much passing through there at the moment although they are still open for business.

As the country is slowly locking itself down, there will still be international air travel but mainly air freight. TigerAir a low cost domestic airline has recently folded but that was expected.

From what I have seen here, the better off the person the more arrogant they appear to be regarding the virus and how it does not affect them. Especially the ones returning from overseas. Poor man's disease? Wishful thinking, the d*ckheads.

We are trying to keep manufacturers open, as the power industry is critical we are still working but it seems some of our contractors are closing.

Not much point of being a critical infrastructure if those who supply us are not!

Got to call one Director in the morning, unilaterly decided to close his business which provides a critical service to us. Yes we can probably go somewhere else and get a lesser service, but I think I can convince him that a state with rolling blackouts is probably cause to keep his workers working and paid, the tight arse scaremongering ****.