Oxi Day 28th Oct Greece 1940

Today Greece celebrates Oxi Day (No Day) on the 28th Oct 1940 Italian forces gave Greece the ultimatum surrender or fight, Greece chose to fight, they not only defeated the Italians but drove them back into Albania.

This episode in WW2 history is not well known outside of Greece, however the knock on effect did effect the final outcome of the war. Germany had to redirect forces to sort out the Italian mess, in doing so delayed Op Barbarossa, & the rest as they say is history.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Hello Talos, how's Crete?...thought it was 'Ochi' ? WTF do I know my Greek is limited to 'Yamas Aviva'. I'm still aiming to get my arrse out to see one day.

Pronounced ochi, spelt with an x.

Kalispera.

oxi2.jpg

After Dunkirk there was a period of about 18 months of WW2 when the only peoples who had not folded , or actively taken sides, was Britain and Greece.
I spent 8 years living in Crete and enjoyed the company of a very sociable ,proud , stubborn , brave Island race.
Well worth a visit excepting Malia which is beyond the pail.

Giasu Talos btw

Last year I had the huge pleasure of being invited to the "Ochi Day" celebrations being held in the village of Panagia on the island of Thassos. Free drink and fags for the chaps, cake and sweeties for the chapesses /children, Greek Orthodox priest/Village President etc, leading the ceremonies at the War Memorial. This was then followed by a huge parade through the main town on the island with hundreds of school children marching past as well as pretty much anyone who was entitled to/wanted to wear any type of "official" uniform. Loads of bands, flags etc and a real feeling of national pride and identity being expressed. All this then followed by celebratory lunches with many toasts drunk to the fallen and the survivors. Wholly different in tone from Nov 11 but incredibly moving nonetheless.

Hello Talos, how's Crete?...thought it was 'Ochi' ? WTF do I know my Greek is limited to 'Yamas Aviva'. I'm still aiming to get my arrse out to see one day.

You know it makes sense NS, there will not be many more Battle of Crete remembrances with our Veterans in attendance, so make it snappy.

Here in Crete the slang word for no is Oi, just to add to the confusion :)

After Dunkirk there was a period of about 18 months of WW2 when the only peoples who had not folded , or actively taken sides, was Britain and Greece.
I spent 8 years living in Crete and enjoyed the company of a very sociable ,proud , stubborn , brave Island race.
Well worth a visit excepting Malia which is beyond the pail.

Giasu Talos btw

The Greeks have not been given the credit for their resistance to the Axis powers.

Giasu Medwaymud, hows yerself any plans for a trip over, if so give me a bell.

Latest Threads