Oxfordshire Infantry regiments?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by mikardo, Mar 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good evening,
    I've been looking around since my application defferal and cannot seem to find which infantry regiments recruit from the oxfordshire area? Any help is greatly appreciated and would rather look a tit on here than in the recruiting office in September.

Thanks again.
  2. Rifles.

Don't worry about looking a tit, they expect it.
  3. Cheers CQMS, that was quick as fook.
  4. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Mind you, Rifles applies to much of the country these days i think :p
  5. I was looking at mercians. I've a few mates in there but I would rather join a local regiment and get a bit of family history started again within the army. My family are all from brum but can't stand the accent ;).
  6. Oxford is old Ox & Bucks later RGJ land, John Howard was an Oxford copper.
  7. This is probably a question I will already know the answer to but I will ask it anyway.

I'm a fully qualified mechanic and welder with a fair bit of engineering experience and I am 19. Will I get alot of grief from my recruiting sgt. for not joining RE/REME?

I've heard stories of recruiting Sgts basicaly not allowing people to go the infantry route.
  8. No, go in and say you want what you want, your recruiter will offer you options as you don't know everything, you never know, you may discover a desire to fly helicopters.
  9. Sound advice. Thanks again.
  10. Recruiters are there to provide you with unbias information and advise you which career stream is most suited for you based on your education, ability and experience providing you meet all the eligability criteria.

If you really want to join the Rifles that's your decision, however, If I was a fully qualified welder - I'd still join the Rifles....
  11. To be honest I'm absolutely positive that there will be people within the rifles with a hell of alot higher education standard in comparison to mine. I will stick by my decision to join an infantry regiment. (An infantry regiment is said but with great appreciation to advice given as to which regiments recruit in my area).

If the recruiter doesn't like it he will have to lump it.

How good are the promotion prospects within the rifles?