• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Oxford troop carrier.

Dear Arrsers i'm currently reading" To The Last Round",by Andrew Salmon (Korean war),where Oxford troop carriers are often mentioned.I have no idea what kind of armoured vehicles these were and would be grateful for some info from the wealth of arrser knowledge out there.All my efforts on Wiki were fruitless thanks in advance NLRECPR.

were they the converted tanks, that were used as APC. I assume somewhat like the WWII "Kangeroo" conversion of the M4 Sherman.

The person most likely to know the answer to this one, would be Bengazi_Bandit, I would suggest.

Carrier, Tracked, CT20.

From
http://www.mafva.net/other pages/VRNARMY2.doc
89ZR09
32ZT01 to
34ZT00
32ZT61
88ZU31 to
89ZU80

Looks like 54 saw service with us, another one with the aussies.

The last true descendent of the carrier line was the Oxford Carrier. Built in 1944 only a few saw service. Designated Carrier, Tracked, CT20 (Carrier, Oxford MkI) it followed the principle requirements that were laid down for the Universal Carriers previously. Six carriers were eventually proposed as replacements for the Oxford but most only reached the experimental and prototype stages. Designed by companies such as Loyd, Rolls Royce and Vickers-Armstrong none were to go into full production.

from Bren gun carrier; fast, furious and lots of help

More reading here: Oxford Carriers - MLU FORUM
Oxford Carrier

jim24

LE
Book Reviewer
The Oxford was an enlarged Bren gun Carrier used to tow the 17pdr Anti Tank gun in Infantry units and was last in the line before we went for the AFV 430 series as the AFV401 Cambridge did not really go on general issue

Attachments

Were other types of carriers also used in Korea besides Oxfords?

EDIT: found a picture in a book of a Universal carrier being used by 1 Middlesex Regt in Korea. Were any other kinds, such as T16s or Windsors used in Korea?

Hi

My Dad was in Korea with the Middlesex Regiment and yes they had Bren Gun Carriers - mounted in some cases with Vickers Machine Guns. On one occasion, my Dad's successful withdrawal under fire of his platoon was only achieved with the unexpected, but welcome covering fire from carrier mounted Vickers.

Interestingly, the universal carrier was the most widely produced APC in the second world war with production standing in excess of 100,000.

Gerry

Hi

My Dad was in Korea with the Middlesex Regiment and yes they had Bren Gun Carriers - mounted in some cases with Vickers Machine Guns. On one occasion, my Dad's successful withdrawal under fire of his platoon was only achieved with the unexpected, but welcome covering fire from carrier mounted Vickers.

Gerry
Thanks. The photo shows a carrier with a captured Russian Maxim gun, the type with wheels and a small shield, mounted on top of the engine cover!

If it helps, my sadly departed mate Doug Wetherall worked as a REME fitter with the Irish Guards battlegroup during the late 50s. He told me that the Support Company used Oxford Carriers to tow the 17pdrs, while the MMGs and Mortars used Stuart Kangaroos.

When I did my Anti Tank DC's course at Netheravon in the seventies ther was a picture of a cambridge towing a BAT on the squad room wall. I think old QMSI Les Tu***r was old enough to have commanded it.

If it helps, my sadly departed mate Doug Wetherall worked as a REME fitter with the Irish Guards battlegroup during the late 50s. He told me that the Support Company used Oxford Carriers to tow the 17pdrs, while the MMGs and Mortars used Stuart Kangaroos.
Which platoons used what vehicle seems to have varied quite a bit. Here is a photo of some men of the anti-tank platoon of 1 Royal Berkshires at Suez in Nov 1956 with a US 106mm recoilless gun and a Stuart. The platoon normally used 17-pdrs but was re-equipped with 106s for Operation Musketeer since the British 120mm BAT wasn't ready yet:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Shirley Knott the Doug Wetherall who wrote football for the Sunderland Echo throughout most of my life?

Oxford Carrier.jpg Screen Grab from a documentary British Airborne Forces at War. Looks to be an enlarged carrier with 4 road wheels like a Lloyd Carrier, but gruntier. From the narration of the doco, guessing it's post war.

Latest Threads